kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

1/12 FW14B Help

Post by kimi_8 »

first thread on here, love this forum :)

ok so i purchased the Williams FW14B 1/12. I am extremely nervous about this car. why i hear you ask?

airbrushing. never done it, and this car needs airbrushing. Bought the colour matched Zero Paints for this car

can anyone give me any advice what to do priming, masking and actually using an airbrush, i'm an experienced modeller but have always hand painted my cars

any advice really would be a fantastic help from you guys

thank you, and keep up the awesome modelling

:)

Eric1968
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Eric Evain
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost
France

Re: 1/12 FW14B Help

Post by Eric1968 »

Hi,
my first advice is to never try a new paint or a new method on an expensive kit. Try to airbrush paint on several small and cheap kits. Like that you'll learn things like "how much thinner should I use?", "how many layers", "How many time before my paint will be hard enough"...Once you'll be confident with your airbrush technic, then you'll be able to built higher kits like the FW14.

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

As Eric said get a cheap 1/20 or 1/24 version of the fw14b and do some tests on it. On the fw14b I did I played about with bits of spree and played with spraying technics and as Eric said experimented with base coats and layers. You won't go far wrong matey

Good luck

Paul

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Hi. Welcome to the forum. It's a great resource with some amazingly talented & helpful model makers.
My process for colour application is wash the part in warm water and washing up liquid. Apply a coat of grey automotive primer, Halfords in the UK, and lightly sand and then wash again. Then two or three light coats of White automotive primer to provide a nice neutral starting point for the colour. Again, sand lightly and then wash. I then apply the required Zero colour through my airbrush. No thinning needed, straight from the bottle. Just make sure the paint is thoroughly mixed first. It generally sprays very well. Light mist coats till you are happy with the result. I have used Zero 2K clear but I'll leave it to cleverer people then me to explain that product, I' m not entirely confident using it. I prefer to get my gloss using multiple coats of Tamiya TS13. Then the clear can be polished and waxed if you want. I always leave a week in between each paint application just to let things dry. Excessive maybe but it works for me. As for masking, use Tamiya masking tape, a very sharp scalpel and give yourself plenty of time. I love masking and the buzz you get when you peel back the tape and see a clean paint job is great.
Hope this helps, everyone develops there own systems and techniques thoso just keep going at it.

d111298pw
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Mark Nicodemus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by d111298pw »

Spend a lot of time spraying scrap parts or cheap kits from a swap meet/flea market. You need to understand what pressures will work best and how thinned the paint needs to be to spray the way you want. Another option would be to buy sheet styrene and mask it into strips. Start with the paint straight from the botle. Spray each strip at a slightly different pressure and see how it looks. Get another sheet and thin the paint and repeat the strips at the same pressures as the first. Do it at least one more time with the paint thinned again. You now have a good idea at what pressure and thinning ratio to get the best results. Then practice, practice, practice.

For priming, I always use Tamiya for my builds. I use automotive primer, with an etch additive, on white metal and PE.
Mark

acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Post by acer709 »

Hi Kimi,
The best advice practice makes perfect,as already described!
But there is a bit of a quicker way,use lighter coats out of the airbrush
to build up paint slowly,decals on this one Mott too bad just watch out for the line
Red,White and blue carrier film needs trimming both sides give yourself time for this decal.
Buy the Williams book by Andy Mathews awesome read and great
assistance for the modeller to aspire too

Topic author
kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

F1Modlz wrote:As Eric said get a cheap 1/20 or 1/24 version of the fw14b and do some tests on it. On the fw14b I did I played about with bits of spree and played with spraying technics and as Eric said experimented with base coats and layers. You won't go far wrong matey

Good luck

Paul
weird. i've been looking at your build with envy, only to find out you are called Paul too

:D

i'll be purchasing a copy of your image disk on payday

anyway, all the replies up to now make sense, stupidly i'd not thought about practicing on a smaller model so thank you. i am so excited to build this model now, i am researching images, looking at different builds and getting a feel for the work involved. need a magnifying glass too

right, i'm off to Halfords for some primer. the model might be in Heathrow customs but i'm gearing up for it

:)

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Anytime matey and best advice is take your time don't get too giddy in the home straight, i've made plenty of cockups in the past lol.

Let us know how you do.

Paul

jaws
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: JAWS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Driver Lando Norris/ McLaren
United States of America

Post by jaws »

Welcome to the forum...indeed a great group with many talented builders!
Never user a air brush > as stated you need to get comfortable using this new tool.
Air pressures, thinning of media and the actual application of paint all need tested. Consider the weather too. Heat, humidity can make a difference.
If you have used a rattle can then you should not have too much trouble applying paint. As stated thin coats will be the best approach.
I do a lot of tests using plastic spoons. Great way to see how the paint works on a curved surface.
think of the air brush as a new tool to apply paint. Mixing and using different types of paint can be a challenge getting the results you want.
Document what you do!!! Cannot stress enough how important having notes of what does and does not work is.
MAsking...
This can be a real adventure for sure. Use high quality tape. tamiya tape is great but on curved surface it can wrinkle. Use something like 3M fine line tape.
Best advice when using several colors on a model and mask... try not to apply too much paint around the masked area. you are bound to get bleed through.
So you will need to be sure to take your time and burnish the edges real good. If time permits paint the same day you mask.
LOL I could go on and on as many of us will agree, painting is a adventure in itself.
In summary get used to the tools and media before you tackle and projects like the Williams.

jeff
Attachments
MVC-001S.JPG

Topic author
kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

burnish? what does that mean?

thanks for the excellent advice guys :)

can i also ask, the wiring, how do you get that "stuck down" look? obviously sticking it down but how do you make them look so realistic