VWF1?

Got a rumor???

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

VWF1?

Post by MoFo »

Autoblog have posted a story sourced from Sport Bild that the VW Group may once again be considering entering F1 with Sauber: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/20/volk ... 1-in-2015/

Probably not true, but still, it's a fun idea to ponder. Porsche chassis? Lamborghini engine? Audi suspension? Bugatti styling? Could be a heck of a contender if they throw all their resources at it. The story does suggest it would be a Porsche association, but really, VW has a lot of brands that could tie in nicely with an F1 partnership.
Je ne regrette rien.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Re: VWF1?

Post by Shunter »

It would be nice if the VW group would come into F1, they certainly have brands that would go hand in hand with the marketing from F1.....oh to dream.
Last edited by Shunter on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

I've seen this before with the engine changes in 14. I thought they were comin in with the Audi name. Either way could be a good addition. Only time will tell though.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Then they might/pought/should buy HRT's license, cheaper and easier for them!! :)

Obi-Jiff
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Obi-Jiff »

I was going to suggest that, James!

Also, if they use a holding company to buy the remnants of HRT and run it for the first year while they prepare for a full entry in 2014, they can get a season's worth of experience with no expectation (at least from the general public - it'd only be enthusiasts like us who'd know who they really were).
Some say he believes Star Wars is a documentary...

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

Obi-Jiff wrote:I was going to suggest that, James!

Also, if they use a holding company to buy the remnants of HRT and run it for the first year while they prepare for a full entry in 2014, they can get a season's worth of experience with no expectation (at least from the general public - it'd only be enthusiasts like us who'd know who they really were).
Is this what Merc did with Brawn in '09? Or was it a "true" independent?

Obi-Jiff
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Obi-Jiff »

A very interesting question, and a point of view I'd not considered before.
Some say he believes Star Wars is a documentary...

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

That was the first question that popped into my mind when I read your post. I've always wondered how an "independent" DOMINATED in '09, aside from the double diffuser rule. Just the funding issue would be hard, if not impossible.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Well, pulling the question back towards BRAWN, I'd say (even at risk of repeating something said lots of times by others :) ) that it was past and not future boosting Brawn: it was the millions invested by Honda that produced output in 2009.

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

JamesB wrote:Well, pulling the question back towards BRAWN, I'd say (even at risk of repeating something said lots of times by others :) ) that it was past and not future boosting Brawn: it was the millions invested by Honda that produced output in 2009.
So Honda had already developed the '09 car when they left? What about the day-to-day operational costs since there were virtually no sponsors? That's what I was more concerned about.