Lotus 79: Tamiya vs Hasegawa - a comparison

A special Forum just for the new Lotus 79 (and 78) kits.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Lotus 79: Tamiya vs Hasegawa - a comparison

Post by jordan »

bossy122 wrote:I finally recieved both of my 79's yesterday and wasn't sure which one I was going to build first until I saw one thing: that same OLD Tamiya DFV tree. I have always hated Tamiyas DFV and more to the point the exhaust pipes, that's a headache best saved for when it's cooler here in So Cal....say, late November? (Hopefully) And I thought Hasegawa including the color reference sheet is brilliant! Just my 2 cents...
Well,glueing the exhaust pipes is not so hard..if you remember this : never try to glue the 4 pipes to there collector at the same time. Glue only 2 at the same time.Let them dry overnight and glue the other 2..the ones already dry can now support the others..Give it a try..

Alex Nahooy.

hirofkd
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by hirofkd »

Did you guys notice that Tamiya decal sheet is missing "Goodyear" for the nose and wings, while Hasegawa sheet has "additional" Goodyear decals for the nose and wings? Obviously, the colors don't match, so those extra decals won't go on the Tamiya model, but I wonder if it was Hasegawa's attempt to poke fun at Tamiya.

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

jordan wrote:
bossy122 wrote:I finally recieved both of my 79's yesterday and wasn't sure which one I was going to build first until I saw one thing: that same OLD Tamiya DFV tree. I have always hated Tamiyas DFV and more to the point the exhaust pipes, that's a headache best saved for when it's cooler here in So Cal....say, late November? (Hopefully) And I thought Hasegawa including the color reference sheet is brilliant! Just my 2 cents...
Well,glueing the exhaust pipes is not so hard..if you remember this : never try to glue the 4 pipes to there collector at the same time. Glue only 2 at the same time.Let them dry overnight and glue the other 2..the ones already dry can now support the others..Give it a try..
Not to mention that Tamiya has new exhaust pipes for the 79. The Hasegawa Cosworth goes together pretty much the same way as the Tamiya.

And yes, the color reference sheet is a great added touch!

craig
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by craig »

I see Goodyear tire (tyre) stencil templates available at HLJ for the 312T2 and both Hasegawa and Tamiya 79s. Can I assumed one would work on any of the three kits?

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I noticed one other thing about both kits. They both molded on the dzus fasteners to the monocoque. A quick check of actual race pics and there aren't any dzus on the real race cars. I'm guessing they both used a "refurb" for their references and didn't bother to go back and cross check their references with the actual cars that raced in '78....oops. Am I wrong? I sure don't see any metallic colored bits sticking out on any of the pics I have from the races in '78. Nor do I see black bits obscuring an otherwise smooth surface of the car. Can anyone concur?

craig
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by craig »

Keep mind the people at most model factories are not always hardcore specialty detailers like ourselves. Tamiya's infamous 1/48 Meteor kit was modeled after a museum aircraft, which, if not mistaken, never flew in its current configuration. Surely they have to leave something left to us modelers. A friend of mine never complained about fit of parts as he figured that was the modelers job to correct.

I've had my H79 for a day and still haven't taken things out of the parts bags yet.

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

bossy122 wrote:I noticed one other thing about both kits. They both molded on the dzus fasteners to the monocoque. A quick check of actual race pics and there aren't any dzus on the real race cars. I'm guessing they both used a "refurb" for their references and didn't bother to go back and cross check their references with the actual cars that raced in '78....oops. Am I wrong? I sure don't see any metallic colored bits sticking out on any of the pics I have from the races in '78. Nor do I see black bits obscuring an otherwise smooth surface of the car. Can anyone concur?
May I suggest a slower check then?

Flemming

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Flemming wrote:
bossy122 wrote:I noticed one other thing about both kits. They both molded on the dzus fasteners to the monocoque. A quick check of actual race pics and there aren't any dzus on the real race cars. I'm guessing they both used a "refurb" for their references and didn't bother to go back and cross check their references with the actual cars that raced in '78....oops. Am I wrong? I sure don't see any metallic colored bits sticking out on any of the pics I have from the races in '78. Nor do I see black bits obscuring an otherwise smooth surface of the car. Can anyone concur?
May I suggest a slower check then?

Flemming
Thanks for posting that... I just realized I missed a JPS logo for the front of the cockpit (those who already ordered, don't worry, I'll include it!)

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Post by scaleautofactory »

Sometime they cover the fasteners with black tape - Rd. 8 Sweden GP 1978
or they leave the fastner visible - Rd. 13 Holland GP 1978

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

At least they got the inboard brakes correct. Minichamps had the 79 with outboard brakes...