Speed build:Scuderia Italia Dallara BMS-188

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: Scuderia Italia Dallara BMS-188

Post by Dalin1 »

Body now puttied and primed, ready for a base coat and paint... Looks good so far.
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
Yes, it was supposed to be an easy and fast build, but the kit looks to have some drawbacks and too many simplifications... The first one is the rear wing support, white metal plates are too thick, I made new wing support from a copper sheet. It is not yet glued together, that's why it looks to be a bit uneven :-)
IMG_0002.JPG

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

..looks good already.MFH easy line.I know if you want to get them right there is still a lot of work to do.The casting is superb but the kit itself
is very simplefied..I had the same experience with the JS21 ..
Keep going Dalin..can't wait the see that red coat..! :wink:

Alex Nahooy.

tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

Good stuff Dalin, keep posting the issues too please. You've still got time to get this right during the Speed Build period.
I think we used to call them 'the other Scuderia'...that was long before Toro Rosso came along :D
Cheers
Tony
Kits Wanted:

AMC Tyrrell 020B conversion
AMC Tyrrell 020C conversion

Please PM if you want to sell one.

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Keep us posted.Looks great so far

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

Something I should have done in the beginning - check how the suspension is fitted at the front end. But, as usually, I was in a rush to spray the body... At least I did check before the final paint :-)
Big part of the suspension is omitted by Hiro in the kit, the cross strut of the front one is fitted inside the body, and I forgot to drill a hole for it. I have done with no big damage to the body, but it will need some puttying and cleaning. I cut the suspension fittings from ALU sheet, also omitted by kit maker to keep things cheap. I know, they would look better in PE, but I am no expert in making own PE parts :-(
ref-frontsusp.jpg
IMG_0003.JPG
Some more scratchbuilding, here you see base for radiators, it's quiet common those are not included in Japanese MM kits... And a base for shock absorbers, which will be partially visible on the kit. Both yet to be cleaned, painted and to be worked on.
ref-radiators.jpg
ref-radiators.jpg (60.72 KiB) Viewed 993 times
IMG_0004.JPG
A lot of scratchbuilding still in front of me... I thought it might be a fast build, but the kit just misses too much details... Looks quite unfortunate how things work nowadays - make it cheap and people will buy it. Still I am happy that the guys at Hiro made this car ;-) Thank you, Mr. Hiro-san!
Sorry for not-so-good photos...

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

An update finally. As usually I am very slow in building, too much scratch building I have never been good at...
How much extra time are we going to get for the fast build? :-)
IMG_0002.JPG

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Dalin,
Looks superb so far..I like it very much..Keep us posted. :P

Alex Nahooy.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Body and wheels look great just sitting there.

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

Heading forward, not much more to be done. Looks like this will be my first ever deadline I will be able to meet! If it's extended, of course ;-)
A few things had to be scratchbuild, as I noted already, the kit was a bit too much simplified.

You can see a new hose from radiator in the right sidepod, radiators are also scratchbuild. Front suspension is half-scratch, as the kit only contained upper and lower wishbone. Struts from engine to floor added, plus struts in the rear end, and rear dampers. Cylinder intakes inside engine cover are added, the kit was supposed to have the area closed, I had to drill the hole in.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Awesome!! I love to see this one coming altogether. You've really done a nice job improving the kit. Looks great, looking forward to seeing all those nice bits come together.
Cheers,
Chris