Speed-Build : Ferrari F187/88C

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Speed-Build : Ferrari F187/88C

Post by tonym »

In thinking about the speed-build, and the subject I've chosen for it, Fujimi's Ferrari F187/88C, it's taken my mind back to the days when I actually saw this car race...
November 1988, I was 21 years of age. A few of us drove from Melbourne to Adelaide (about a 9 hour drive from memory) to see the race. It was a memorable boys weekend, the weather was brilliant and hot, so were the girls. Adelaide 'came alive' for the weekend, and put on it's best party. I can remember watching the race with a couple of Austrian backpackers ( I don't think they were called backpackers back then), and barracking with them for Berger's Ferrari to win ahead of the all conquering Mclarens. They packed up when Berger was taken out whilst leading.

Some other very random memories from the weekend.

1. My friend Biagio drove very carefully on the speed limit on the drive over, as the road was known to be very hot with police when all the rev-heads were driving over. He sped up just once to overtake a slow truck, and got picked up by the cops. I can still remember the bemused look on the policeman's face as he shone his torch into the car and saw four men laughing hysterically.

2. For qualy, it was hot and we didn't want to walk far. He parked in a no parking zone close to the track. When we came out and saw the inevitable parking ticket, he wasn't fazed. He merely removed it from the windscreen and placed it on a nearby Jaguar. His reasoning- the guy would probably hand it to his secretary to be paid without even reading it.

3. On race day, he parked in the same spot. Thinking ahead, he pinched a parking ticket off a nearby car and put it on his windscreen, so he wouldn't get another one. It worked.

4. I can remember that I arranged to meet a woman from work, Caroline, in one of the bars over there on the Saturday night. A few days before we went, we had lunch and she introduced me to her twin sister, Helen, who was similar looking but a little more brunette. That was fine but the focus of my attention was Caroline. Anyway, we went to the bar straight after Quali and I probably hit it too hard (it was hot, remember) before the girls arrived. Finally they arrived, and I introduced the two girls to my friends. First was Helen, that was fine, then I turned to Caroline. In a quirk of drunken memory lapse, I couldn't remember her name ! That went down like a lead balloon, I think it was some weeks before she would even say hello to me again. It was embarrassing and unfortunate, and I felt bad, but my friends had a lot of fun at my expense over it.

5. Some time later that night, we were walking down one of the main streets in central Adelaide. There were all sorts of people around, many drunk, all partying. There was this guy playing an electric guitar pretty well, so we stopped to listen. His voice was gone, he'd been going for a while. It turned out he only knew one song, which he played over and over. It was Springsteen's 'Born to Run'.

We came back for more in 1989, but a few of you might remember that race, probably one of the wettest races in history.

I hope you liked my light hearted look at 1988, TonyM style.

Here's the kit:
Last edited by tonym on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kits Wanted:

AMC Tyrrell 020B conversion
AMC Tyrrell 020C conversion

Please PM if you want to sell one.

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Speed-Build : Ferrari F187/88C

Post by tonym »

DAY 1 December 26 2009: I've made a small start today, just removing the seam from the tyres and giving them that scrubbed look. In the photo, they still need a wash, but I didn't wait for them to dry before photographing them.
Question: For the Italian GP, were the wheels chrome, black, or metallic black ? Does anyone have a decent photo that shows the wheels, I've only got shots for this race taken from in front of the car.
Cheers
Tony
Last edited by tonym on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kits Wanted:

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

DAY 2 : December 27 2009 Despite my best efforts, it's now 4 minutes to midnight and I haven't touched plastic today. Makes me wonder if I really can pull this off one a little over 12 weeks.
Kits Wanted:

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

Keep going Tony - nice start.

Just to help put it into perspective... you'll get at least a quarter of a year, with the potential for another 1-4 weeks on top of that.
You don't necessarily have to finish, just get as much done as possible.
(The chances of me finishing my multi-media kit are pretty slim... hehe)

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Keep up the work, I am looking forward to this!
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Wheels looks to be dark metallic:

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

The wheels were chrome and black. You can take a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwxBCij7pk8

BullittStang
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Joe
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nigel Mansell
United States of America

Post by BullittStang »

Steffen_T wrote:The wheels were chrome and black. You can take a look here:

Probably more of a polished aluminum than outright chrome.

Joe A.

Topic author
tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

DAY 3 : December 28th 2009
Steffen_T wrote:The wheels were chrome and black. You can take a look here:

Thanks Steffen, and everyone else who has offered help. That's a really useful video. I've taken two snapshots from it so far, that show the metal/black wheels, and that there is no indication of the metallic color on the inner side of the rims.

I've made a little progress, the tyres needed some further refinement, the molding was a little untidy around the holes, and my sanding was a little inconsistent.

I've spent some time trying to nut out the best way to mask the wheels to achieve the two tone metal /black demarcation. I can't think of an easy way, any ideas good or bad would be appreciated.

That's it for the Ferrari tonight, I want to spend some time taking my Benetton B188 a little closer to completion too. Maybe I should speed build that too.

Cheers
Tony

Kits Wanted:

lumpulus
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by lumpulus »

Great story! I know how it is to suddenly forget a pretty lady's name. ;)