The GOLDEN PINE award - Toothpicks nominated

Post your best modeling tips here.

Topic author
InvernoDreaming
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

The GOLDEN PINE award - Toothpicks nominated

Post by InvernoDreaming »

In honor of what I believe to be the most useful tool, the humble toothpick without which for me building 1:43 would not be the same.

I use these for so many things, mixing glue, mixing paint, aligning small parts (fingers too stubby) positioning decals in final position, applying glue. But I use them mostly to hold parts for painting, toothpick are great.........can't build without them.

Please see this thread as a fun invite others to nominate their favorite tool or tip for the GOLDEN PINE award.

Thanks
IMG_5392.jpg
IMG_5395.jpg
InvernoDreaming

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Re: The GOLDEN PINE award - Toothpicks nominated

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Here is my nomination for the Golden Pine Award.
This little beauty has been in my service for about 5 years, and is the most useful tool I have. It has a perfectly formed tip for moving and placing decals without damaging the decal, with the correct shape to fall readily to hand. His father was in my employ for about 5 years also, until his sad demise.
My vote is cast.
Cheers,
Chris
Attachments
Golden Pine.JPG

Topic author
InvernoDreaming
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Dear Chris

I have been asked by members of the Golden Pine awards Commission if you could provide further details for your nomination as it is an early front runner.

It looks like hand honed seasoned Michigan maple, with perfect balance and strength yet flexible and supple, can you offer any explanation as to this beautifully crafted tools origin? I heard rumors of similar artifacts fetching enormous sums in Japan; are you sure that it's predecessor was NOT simply stolen for this illegal trade?

On behalf of GPaC thank you in advance for you answers, clearly this is an important entry over the mass produced pine toothpicks others have already nominated!
InvernoDreaming

rubenswebber
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by rubenswebber »

Have you met the toothpicks big brother the skewer? All the features of the toothpick in a package about 3 times longer with added bamboo styled strength!

Topic author
InvernoDreaming
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Hi Rubenswebber

The GPaC have asked me to clarify your particular use of the bamboo skewer?

They are at this stage in the competition impressed that an Ozzy should have the foresight to use an item explicitly designed for use on the 'barby' for any other purpose! It must be noted that our Australian member on the GPaC Mr Bruce Kelly raised concerns that this view pandered to national stereotypes, saying "Not all Australians are obsessed by Shrimps on the Barby" his objections we noted by the commission and but for the support of Italian Signore. Paulo Rossi who felt that any kind of cultural oversimplification should be discouraged this view was ultimately rejected by the commission.

It should be also noted that the very same Signore. Rossi was overheard suggesting (at lunch) that he might "try spaghetti on his latest build"

However dispite this diplomatic spat at the GPaC you must be congratulated for your nomination.
InvernoDreaming

lotus49
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by lotus49 »

Mr.Grumpy wrote:
Whether you use toothpicks (call them cocktail sticks if you like - depends on where you live or if you have teeth) or skewers (the steroidal equivalent), IMHO that block of foam above (that exact kind, mind you) is vital to the exercise. There is NOTHING (excuse the shout) as annoying as trying to place a stick (one handed) in foam that either will not hold, or holds for a moment then drops the stick over as you reach for the next piece to paint.

The foam in Mr Grumpy's picture is the only one that really works. It will even happily accept a piece of 2mm solder (that which we modellers would know as an exhaust header).

Next time you buy a large appliance check the packaging before you throw it out. With an electric carving knife you might be able to carve out and store a lifetime supply of this very useful modelling resource. And like me, you'll be wondering why there's never any storage space in your house. :?

Topic author
InvernoDreaming
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Dear Lotus49

An excelent nomination theGPaC agree that this material is indeed an excelent resource. Indeed the slight crack when the toothpick (Cocktail Stick) makes upon penetration of the material giving a slight audable signal conferming safe seating is always a pleasure to hear, better than the Scissor Sisters sound anyway.
InvernoDreaming

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Inverno,
I too have heard of such illegal trades occuring on the black-market, which was the recent subject of a CNN expose'. These practices sadden me, and I am happy to say that no such activity occurred with the subject in question. Everthing completely above-board here.

Both my current and previous "picks" were born of premium Michigan Cherry, in the fertile soils of Traverse City. The father was brought into service somewhat accidentally, but having developed a perfectly harmonious relationship, we began to groom the son in preparation for an eventual transfer of responsibility. In anticipation of that time, we prepared a careful regimen of tip and shape forming in order to ensure there was no loss of productivity when the necessary change-over came.

Expanding on the theme, I would also like to throw my nominee in for the "holder" category, as defined above with the packing foam. I will officially enter my nomination for "most useful holder" with the ever-popular rattle-can lid with tape. Combined with the aforementioned toothpick, it is a compact parts holder. It has the advantage over styrofoam in that it can be easily handled and maneuvered by hand to ensure all sides of a part are painted.
Brakes.JPG
My nominations are cast.
Cheers,
Chris

utzelu
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by utzelu »

Here is my holder I am using for painting the main body of a car. It is basically a glass can cap with a round wood bar and a plastic strip on top, all hold together with screws. The model is attached to the plastic part with the original screw from the kit.
It is very solid and can be rotated any way you want.
DSC_1315.jpg
DSC_1317.JPG
regards,
utzelu