2009 GB - WIP: Fujimi 1/20 248F1 Brazilian GP Massa

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2009 Group Build.

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Re: 2009 GB - WIP: Fujimi 1/20 248F1 Brazilian GP Massa

Post by smbrm1 »

So what are the kit differences between the Fuji Ferrari F248 Kit GP-7, Brazil 2006 F248 Kit GP-9, and Japan 2006 F248 Kit GP-13.

Brazil GP-7 Front wing = C1, D6 Rear wing= D8, D7
GP-9 Front wing = C1, E7 Rear wing= E8, E6
Japan GP-13 Front wing = C1, D6 Rear wing= D8, D7

Are there any other differences that anyone has noticed? Do the GP-9 wings represent anything other than the presentation car?

Just curious

Stephen

Robban
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Robban »

The F248 looks superb :) Great decal work

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

The build was basically on the finish line, pending polishing. However Fujimi's shortcomings and error
in brake details halted it. It's waiting for new brake rotors and calipers. Fortunately F2007 kit has
nice front calipers, which I intend to make resin copy of. However machining of new rotors for 248F1
and F2007 will have to happen sometime in the future, when I get enough time and motivation.

My F60 which I started last, will probably be finished first. For the simple reason - no corrections are
required for kit parts and no new parts have to be produced. That's why I'm praising new Tamiya kit
much higher then Fujimi's offerings.

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

lezdep wrote:The build was basically on the finish line, pending polishing. However Fujimi's shortcomings and error
in brake details halted it. It's waiting for new brake rotors and calipers.
Lezdep...

I purchased the Hobby Design wheel and brake kit for my Fujimi 248F1. I got them from Kevin at Strada Sports for $55.00. You would be very pleased with them.

RW
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

lezdep wrote:The build was basically on the finish line, pending polishing. However Fujimi's shortcomings and error
in brake details halted it. It's waiting for new brake rotors and calipers. Fortunately F2007 kit has
nice front calipers, which I intend to make resin copy of. However machining of new rotors for 248F1
and F2007 will have to happen sometime in the future, when I get enough time and motivation.

My F60 which I started last, will probably be finished first. For the simple reason - no corrections are
required for kit parts and no new parts have to be produced. That's why I'm praising new Tamiya kit
much higher then Fujimi's offerings.
I watched one of the Japanese youtube vids of a guy building the 248 and he puttied the edges of the rear discs and drilled out small holes (vents) between the faces of the rotor. From the images, it seems that this is all that is needed to correct it (that's all he did). Is there more?

Daniel

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

This is looking REALLY nice!!!

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

drledford93 wrote: I watched one of the Japanese youtube vids of a guy building the 248 and he puttied the edges of the rear discs and drilled out small holes (vents) between the faces of the rotor. From the images, it seems that this is all that is needed to correct it (that's all he did). Is there more?

Daniel
- I don't like that rear rotors are smaller than front ones. That's not correct for modern F1 cars, I believe.
- rotors are too thick for 1/20 scale. Maximum allowed for modern F1 cars is 28mm, translates to 1.4mm in 1/20
- venting wholes in brake rotors have quite specific shape. I won't be able to reproduce it 100% either, but at least I plan to
make it more accurate. It's more like square, not round as in kit
- all 4 front/rear calipers look wrong compare to original car. Again size and shape of calipers is pretty much the same
front/rear
- brake "drums" are missing, 248F1 brakes cooling configuration is pretty much the same as for F2007. At least Fujimi did
better job for front brakes in F2007 kit. However rears are all compromised in F2007 too

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

I was able to reignite my interest in this build. Started polishing process for clear coat. I'm not going to go
all the way to get perfect finish in fears of damaging model in current state. It'll not be perfect, but should still
be OK for first model after long hiatus. In a mean time I also figured out how I will produce replacement brake
rotors for it. That was another block on the way. I plan to machine rotors in 2 halves and by inserting one half
into another get smaller square venting holes. Below is 3D model to verify my calculations and approach
were correct.

I plan to use rotor built same way for 248F1, F2007, MP4/22 and RB5 also. Might not be 100% correct for all those
cars, but close enough, imho.

If everything goes according to plan, new brake calipers will be a improved resin copies of front calipers from
F2007 kit.
Attachments
rotor2.jpg
Last edited by lezdep on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

I've machined 4 samples. 2 better ones give impression close to desired. First picture is of halves.

Second shows how finished rotor supposed to look like.

At this scale machining is tricky. Broke 3 end mills on the way. Still need to create hats.
Then resin casting will be a serious challenge, I think.

De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Germany

Post by De21 »

That indeed looks like some tricky machining :wink: but it looks like it is worth it.