2009 Group Build Options

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2008 Group Build.

Topic author
CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

2009 Group Build Options

Post by CaptainMark »

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about a few GB ideas for 2009. I realise that 2008's GB wasn't all that healthy in the end, but if we spice it up a tad for 2009 perhaps it can work a little better. I'll put down in point form what I propose:

1. Just to get this point out of the way, I'm happy to administer it. Unless of course anyone else would like to take command of the whole thing - I'm pretty easy either way.

2. Start date of January 1st, 2009; end date of December 20, 2009. Enough time to get kits organised and built.

3. Theme: the key number is "6". If the car was raced in a year with 6 in it, or has the number 6 painted on it (not sponsor markings), then it's able to be in the GB. Eg. any 60's cars, 1976, 1986, 1996, 2006 - all good. If the number painted on the car is 6, 16 or 26, etc, then that's also fine. This method should give a fairly large number of options to people. Oh, and if the car name has a 6 in it then that's fine too. (e.g. Honda RA106).
We can hold a vote on an alternative number if people prefer.

4. I'm not sure about physical prizes, unless a sponsor sees this and wants to get involved.

5. Alternatively I'm going to put forward a system of medals, Gold for First, Silver for second... haha. Nah just kidding guys. Bloody Bernie huh...

6. Actually I thought a points system for progress (Qualifying) and results (Race) was more in order, with the final victor to be crowned the 2009 F1M GB World Champion at the end of it all. It'll be designed to reward participation as much as completion and quality. Here's some more ideas...

7. Updated GB scores posted at the end of every month by myself, showing current GB Championship rank, and how it's changed from the previous month.

8. Qualifying
Start a progress thread = 2 points
Having five or more updates to the progress thread = 3 points
Putting up a completed build thread = 5 points

Order of completion:
First to show completed thread = 10 points
Second... = 8 points
Third... = 6 points
Fourth... = 5 points
Fifth... = 4 points
Sixth... = 3 points
Seventh... = 2 points
Eighth... = 1 points

9. Race
To be held just before Christmas 2009.
A final build picture submitted for judging by all members of F1M:
First... = 10 points
Second... = 8 points
Third... = 6 points
Fourth... = 5 points
Fifth... = 4 points
Sixth... = 3 points
Seventh... = 2 points
Eighth... = 1 points

I'm sure myself or someone handy with graphics can put together a fancy little banner for the winners signature, noting them as the 2009 GB champion. That's about the best prize I can come up with at the moment.

The above sysem may be able to be refined, I'm just trying to devise something that appeals, and creates a little ongoing "friendly" competition and excitement. And the fact that it relates somewhat to the real world method of points scoring, etc, well I think it ads to the interest.

Please put forward any thoughts and if we can get some concensus then we'll push forward with this! Or if you think it's generally not worth it, mention that too. I guess if you're keen to enter into a 2009 GB like this then just post back in this thread so we can get some idea of numbers.
Like I said, I'm happy to administer it. And Eric, if you see any issues with this kind of thing happening just let me know - wasn't sure we needed to clear it with you first.

Cheers all!
M
Image Image

Spike2933
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: 2009 Group Build Options

Post by Spike2933 »

I like it, It will have me want to build Kimi's WDC Brazilian GP car :D

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Great proposal, I'm in. I like the "6" idea, as it leaves a lot of flexibility in project selection.
Cheers,
Chris

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

I like it...just one little point. how about 6 months for completion of the model. I think it has some advantages like, some might get lost in superdetailing with so much time and chances the model won't be finished are high...at least for me :-) and I think a "contest" a shorter build time will also lower our stockpiles a little, so maybe we can have two builds with 6 months, ooooooor we have a whole championchip season with 3 races...I mean models with 4 months each and then your pointsystem would be really great.

let's see what happens.

daniel
-germany-

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

Great Idea....

The year time span may be a little long, but heck, I can't seem to finish one in twelve months without a deadline.
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

Topic author
CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

OK, I hear what the masses are saying... how about starting on the first race of the season and ending on the last?

With the projects I have personally going at the moment it'll be six months before I can start on anything related to the GB, and I just assumed that some others would be the same. You know, wanting to finish current builds, etc. That was my reasoning for a long end date. Plus the fact that many of us need the time to finish just one kit... hehe. But like I've said before, I'm pretty easy with whatever the majority wants.

Starting and ending with the actual races will give us time to finish any current builds if we want to, organise kits etc, and then about 6 months to do the build. Does that sound better?

It just means that the GB doesn't start for about 4 months.

seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

I really like the idea too Mark, havent a clue what I would build yet but either way I think its a great idea. I am sure some of the sponsors on here would lend a hand with a few prizes too!

DerXL
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Axel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet, Kamui Kobayashi
Netherlands

Post by DerXL »

I'm liking this idea too.
And I'd like to join this GB too. I just hope I won't have the same problem as with the 2008 GB...

taliesen
Midfield
Midfield

Post by taliesen »

I don't have any real preference for subject - but whatever it is, I'm in (as long as I can do it in plastic and not resin, I should have a suitable kit in the stash . . . . ).
Jonathan

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Sounds good to me also. I like the idea of coinciding with the F1 season, didn't we try that for the '08 GB? Gives me some time to figure out what I'm gonna do also.
Chris