Post away...

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: WEC 2024 season also started at Quatar

Post by gp-models »

WRC or WEC?
Not a big fan of Rally, but your right about race action in WRC, much more then F1 actually
Take a stand!

Ffracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Mercedes
United States of America

Post by Ffracer »

The influx of new cars particularly in GT is making this year more interesting for the WEC. It is also helping that the Toyotas have very significant competition this time around for overall wins. Hopefully the LMP class won't turn into a Porsche romp and wins will be spread among the manufacturers. It was great that the Peugeot was running so high (2nd) late in the race.

wallenstein
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: Daniel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Czech Republic

Post by wallenstein »

I agree that the hypercar category in the WEC looks great. The cars are beautiful and the racing is exciting. But there is one thing that spoils the overall impression quite considerably for me, and that is BoP. How can you enjoy a race when the outcome is clearly determined in advance by political decisions, not engineering and driving excellence? Plus, the cars have an unnecessarily limited maximum power output, so you don't get the feeling that what you're seeing is the maximum possible. And that bothers me a bit too. 

And as for the WRC? That seems to be a dead category right now. After all, there are only three teams in it and they, like the FIA, are dithering about what to do next. And in fact, nearly all the champion drivers of recent years have opted for only sporadic starts.

So when it comes to top class car racing (i.e. not touring/GT cars or spec racing series), one ends up back with F1. At the moment it seems to be the top of the agenda for spectators and car companies, but how long will it last if there is still only one driver dominating? Sadly, since 2013 there has only been one single season where drivers from two different teams have really fought each other for the title until the last race (2021). For all the business and glamour, after all, this is supposed to be racing first and foremost. That has to be the core of the whole show. And that, unfortunately, has been lame for years now. There are no simple solutions.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

BOP will even itself out over the season, its been a common issue for a while now but makes the racing more interesting.

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

I don`t see F1 more interesting then WEC this year, even with the regulations which every racing series has.
A long distand race will allways be more unpredictible then short sprints finaly, so to me there is much more to expect then from F1 races.

It will be fun and exciting to see how Porsche, Ferrari, Peugeot and all the others will be racing this year. The classic will surely be Le Mans, but i will try to follow the races all over the season.
Take a stand!