Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Tamiya LP-9 (clear)

Post by Malcolm »

I'm not sure if this is a question or a warning.

My default choice of paints at present is the Tamiya LP range (like the spray cans but in a small Tamiya jar). I find the paints reliable and easy to spray.

However, a few days ago I sprayed the part shown (inner cockpit of Meng MP4/4) with gloss black and then a top coat of LP-9 clear. The whole of the exposed part gets covered in Carbon Fibre decals, so I just wanted a smooth surface to make the decals lay down properly.
MP4 inner cockpit.jpg
Anyway, after leaving for a day to dry (at least 24 hours), I gave it a quick polish and wash. Left it to dry and came back to the result on the photo.

I can only assume that LP-9 is hygroscopic and that I need to leave it to dry for more than a day.

I've used LP-9 successfully many times before and I think the 'problem' this time was that the water must have laid on the part for a couple of hours and effectively it's acted as if it was soaking in water. With the other times I've exposed the LP-9 to water, I must have dried it off before the 'dulling effect' showed up.

It's no problem - I'll just strip the paint and start again.

Any comments would be read with interest - other than that, just beware on your own builds.

Best wishes
Malcolm

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Tamiya LP-9 (clear)

Post by Chinamalc »

Thanks, good to know.
Its always interesting to hear about the stumbling blocks rather than just - 'here it is finished'!
This prevents us making the same mistakes.

the other Malc.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Re: Tamiya LP-9 (clear)

Post by CK »

Hi Malcom,

I have a similar issue happened on acrylic clear. However, before I strip and paint again, the clear becomes clear again after I left the part for weeks. The water in the paint may be able to evaporate with time.

Wait so time before you strip it if you are not in a hurry. If it become clear again, it save you effect and we will al learn something.
C K
Canada