Look for Meng McLaren MP4/4 in the wild

For all F1 scale model news...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Look for Meng McLaren MP4/4 in the wild

Post by gp-models »

Inuyasha wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:58 pm
gp-models wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:49 am Sometimes downsizing from the original measurements don`t work, so you need to add thickness and in this case, only a thick etched part would fit, less then the kit part, but even more then the measuring would suggest!
Still agree, on many models details are not allways "true scale", let`s hope someone will come around with matching etched parts one day!
Not sure about that, but it is possible to do thicker parts. Tameo`s suspensions are thick material for example, maybe too thick, but it should not be a problem.
By the way, nice to see you back mate! :)
Take a stand!

tifosi157
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tifosi157 »

This is a fun model to build. It's almost snap-fit. carbon decals are easy to work with, even though not a huge fan of the color/patterns. ordered photo etch parts. Will try to use the photo etched end plates.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Got mine a few days ago.
I agree (just ad a "plastic bag thru" look) with the snpa fit nature, on the other hand, that:
f1m wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:58 am ...but what is your opinion of my idea - building the kit without the engine installed, fixing down the transmission to hold the suspension, and fixing down the engine cowling? I was also thinking of detailing the engine (after) once someone makes a detail set.
Thanks,
Eric
I thought the same wen I saw the clutch is quite detailed. Who knows. MAybe at our age we no longer think of being all day removing the cowling to see interior.
BTW, now I think it, not sure if someone posted pics of the sprues (I know many ave gone furter) so, FWIW...

Oh yes there´s some comic drawing over there too 8) :lol: enjoy!
One thing that surprised me strongly is the absolute absence of ANY engraving on tyre sidewalls :shock: when that´s something we are used to from decades ago.
Anyway it´s a big cool model of a big big cool subject, so let´s cellebrate :D :D :mrgreen: I´m happy I got it.
I have an excess of 1/12 kit stash so I thought that this excess will be more justified if one of them was an MP4/4 instead of a Heller Renault! :lol: :lol:

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

James - Thanks for showing!
M.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Thx for the Information JamesB. Is that "comic" Exar Kun or some other powerfull Sith-Lord? ( Not Lil' Ani though ).

tifosi157
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tifosi157 »

I find the main cowling fit tigtly to the floor. I may just use some magnets instead of screws to secure the cowl so i can take them on/off easily. I just have to remeber not to hold the cowl when handling the model.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

You’re welcome :D just thought it’d come handy
And yes the magnets are a good idea. There’s room for them here
vekkuli wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:46 pm Thx for the Information JamesB. Is that "comic" Exar Kun or some other powerfull Sith-Lord? ( Not Lil' Ani though ).
Long story told short :D pics were taken incidentally on my late dad’s working table. He was a great artist but these drawings are mine.
It’s a quite crazy idea I started. How would be his old characters follow up if done in the style of several nowadays draughtsmen 8)
I am making some overhauling on my parents flat and thought it’d be good to use meanwhile my dad’s studio to wear up some pencils 😎
Btw getting the Meng delivered there saved me some explanations to wife :lol:

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

JamesB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:06 pm You’re welcome :D just thought it’d come handy
And yes the magnets are a good idea. There’s room for them here
vekkuli wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:46 pm Thx for the Information JamesB. Is that "comic" Exar Kun or some other powerfull Sith-Lord? ( Not Lil' Ani though ).
Long story told short :D pics were taken incidentally on my late dad’s working table. He was a great artist but these drawings are mine.
It’s a quite crazy idea I started. How would be his old characters follow up if done in the style of several nowadays draughtsmen 8)
I am making some overhauling on my parents flat and thought it’d be good to use meanwhile my dad’s studio to wear up some pencils 😎
Btw getting the Meng delivered there saved me some explanations to wife :lol:
Oh, I see. And yes those Explanations. Sometimes feels like some "Ultimate Sin" :mrgreen: .