seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Thread/Posts etiquette

Post by seamus »

Interested to hear some of your thoughts on this, but another forum I'm a member of (shhhh, don't tell Eric :wink: ) there was a right 'ol stink of a thread which ended up getting locked, removed and apparently one or two members kicked off - including the original author of the thread.

The thread started out simply as a 1/12 Bike WIP (Tamiya Suzuki Katana for info), nothing overly mind blowing and a little rough around the edges. It's author was a Canadian chap who was doing what we all do and documenting/showcasing the build process. Another forum member, un-requested, decided to post a couple of pictures on this thread of his own build (which was clearly of a much better standard) and whilst he didn't say in so many words that his build was better it was clear that was his aim, what this descended into was a whole world of social media gripes and grumbles of how people do this time and time again and how it seems many consider it to be exceptionally rude. The thread ended up becoming personally abusive to the point it started to sound like school playground stuff but there were many valid points raised along the way.

Obviously the whole 'keyboard warriors' label was thrown around, and 'you wouldn't dare say this and that if I were stood in front of you' kind of thing, it got pretty personal. But one chap made what I thought was a real valid point with an analogy... he said imagine if you were at a show, and on the table you placed a few pictures of a build process of a model you were working on, and someone came along, without asking permission, and proceeded to put their own pictures of the same build next to yours... it just wouldn't happen would it. His point was that why do we feel it is acceptable to do this on social media/forums (called hijacking a thread) as he felt it was the same principle, and I must admit I tended to agree but I was genuinely shocked at just how angry people were getting.

It's obviously very different if you post a thread asking for people to post photos of this or that or the obligatory mancave setup etc etc. Oh the joys of social media eh (or social marauding as I've heard it recently described :lol: ), a fantastic tool ruined by elements of society... then again I guess you can say that about so many aspects in life right now.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Thread/Posts etiquette

Post by daveyman »

I would never dream of hijacking someone's WIP thread by putting my own build up but it is easy to lead a thread off topic by commenting or asking about something the original poster has said. Maybe a technique or tool they've used can lead the discussion off topic.
I always work on the principle of treat people how you would wish to be treated yourself. Politeness costs nothing.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

If someone asks for help, feel free to give advice or post something yourself. We have a few general threads about kits (that have gone off the rails but that's another issue), but I wouldn't post my own picture of a kit unless requested.

I tend to try to just ignore people who may inadvertently or intentionally annoy me unless I feel I am being misunderstood.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Three deeply wise comments :wink:
But yes sometimes Social Media bad habits can affect good old forums styles.
Let’s be polite kind and positive pals :D

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Well. I've seen it happen as well and I mean, if it is unsolicited, it's highly questionable but it also depends on how or what is done. Like say I see you post a detail you're working on and I might feel inclined to suggest "how about doing it differently, like so". Doing that, maybe a photo might help instead of a million words trying to describe what you're getting across. In that case I would feel it is more of teaching exercise - nobody is perfect and we're all likely to learn something from the way someone else does things or even just by trying to understand the reasoning behind why that person is doing it that way. That would be one of the grey areas. If, however, I'm posting pics of my build soley to wee on someone else's parade, because - obviously - "mine is bigger", that is absolutely not acceptable. With the latter part, I think you will keep finding it being repeat offenders and - my guess is - that they won't be posting WIPs themselves.

Btw - another theoretical exercise here.. buckle up - what if I have a WIP of the kit in question and have addressed that issue there. Would it be acceptable to post a link to thread or also (as with the pictures) only if invited to do so?

Also social conventions seem to go out the window as soon as this grey box is powered up and it's 104 keys (or whatever) and me vs the world (apparently) all day, every day.
Cheers,
Roman

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Good topic!
I am a member of another forum where people keep throwing pictures of their models in threads that someone else has started and I find that very bad form and cannot understand why it is tolerated.

There is the fact that some builders are better in some topics than others and some have spent decades building models and some are brand new to the hobby etc. etc.
Some build out-of-the-box with limited detailing and some throw everything but the kitchen sink at the models.
Just as there are different philosophies that come on top (like the weathering topics known by military builders), effect simulation (shading) etc.

I think everyone should be allowed to be at their own level and with their own feelgood opinions without someone appearing to gauge them and comparing them.
I do not understand why someone wants to derail someone's thread? - You had your chance to show your build in your own thread, why do you put it in someone else's?

I would say a link to a WIP would be alright IF, (I say again) IF there was a specific question in the original thread and the poster was articulating how he solved the issue.
Otherwise I would say best to leave it.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

Unfortunately, things are still busy in my world, and getting busier, so its just not possible for me to keep an eye on threads in the Forums....

E

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Interesting stuff chaps, sounds like we're just about on the same page here - I would never feel it is ok to post pics of my builds on someone else's WIP - in any form or even offer advice. It would have to be specifically asked for by the author. This beloved hobby of ours seems to attract its fair share of folks who feel they need to tell the world just how amazing they are, who they know, who they worked for and how much they know about everything etc etc :roll: but worst of all criticise other people's work... some seem to lose sight of the fact that we build these little mini works of art for enjoyment and pleasure as part of our down time in the busy lives we lead and not all of us even want to be better than we already are. I guess all you can do is politely thank them for their input and then swiftly delete their post with a smile on your face and a middle finger raised :lol:

Facebollox seems to be rife with this kind of thing, very much less so in this little corner of the tinterweb thankfully.