Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Steve Sobieralski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Ferrari
Jim Clark, Graham Hill Jochen Rindt, Kimi
United States of America

1/12 ABC Brianza Ferrari 158: It’s an Old Story

Post by ssobier »

That story goes like this: there is a subject that you’d REALLY like to have a model of. Unfortunately, the only kit available may have many flaws, or is not the exact version that you want, or, even worse, there’s no kit at all. You then spend hours, days, months, or even years improving and reworking the kit or, if there is no kit, building whatever it is you can’t live without completely from scratch. And then, just as you are finished, or about to be finished, with your reworked or scratch built labor of love, a new kit is announced which completely blows away all your efforts. In my case the kit I am referring to is the old ABC Brianza 1/12 Ferrari 158, which I recently finished and is about to be made totally obsolete by the imminent release of the new MFH 1/12 158 and 1512 kits.

I’m not sure when this kit was released, but I bought and started it at least 15 years ago. As has been my typical MO with these early 2000s era large scale resin Italian kits (ABC, MG, Modelissimo Leonardo, Retrotoys, ect) that I have wrestled with in the past, I worked on it, put it away, and pulled it out several times over the years. The link below is to a thread from back in 2011 where I made some comments on the kit and posted a few in-progress photos:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15483&p=148303&hili ... 58#p148303

One unusual, perhaps unique, feature of this kit is that the cockpit tub is a single piece of resin to which a brass sheet, which is embossed with the raised rivet detail, is wrapped around and glued to the tub. Much to my surprise that actually worked fairly well, although the rivets might be a trifle oversized.

The car is marked as for the 1964 German Grand Prix, which John Surtees won on his way to becoming World Champion. The small yellow circle above the number 7 on the nose was not included on the decal sheet but was something I saw in period photos from the race. Bandini’s number 8 had a similar marking, but farther down the nose near the prancing horse emblem. I do not see these on any of the other cars at that race, or on Ferraris at any other race. Perhaps they were recognition markings to differentiate between the two cars. Similar colored circles were used in the 67 Le Mans 24 race to show the potential flammability of various body parts of the cars. I believe yellow indicated aluminum construction, while red was fiberglass.
ABC 158 01.JPG
ABC 158 02.JPG
ABC 158 03.JPG
ABC 158 04.JPG
ABC 158 05.JPG
ABC 158 06.JPG
ABC 158 07.JPG
ABC 158 08.JPG
ABC 158 09.JPG
ABC 158 10.JPG
Overall I’m satisfied with the way it turned out. I can tell from the photos posted on the MFH website that their kits are going to be much superior, but the ABC kit does, in my opinion, do a fairly good job of capturing the delicate beauty of the 158.

Steve Sobieralski

banzai
Formula e
Formula e

Re: 1/12 ABC Brianza Ferrari 158: It’s an Old Story

Post by banzai »

Congrats on your finished build! Yes it is an old story but it shouldn't take away from your accomplishment or make you feel bad. I also have this ABC kit, along with the previous, even more primitive Bandai 1512, plus the relabeled UPC version! Shouldn't stop you from getting the new MFH car(s) either. You can build the NART version now!

Interesting tidbit about the yellow circle, never heard that before. I have the Nicholas Watts print of Surtees at the Ring in 64 where its depicted as well.

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Great looking build!!!

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

Nice one!
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

Topic author
ssobier
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Steve Sobieralski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Ferrari
Jim Clark, Graham Hill Jochen Rindt, Kimi
United States of America

Post by ssobier »

banzai wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:55 pm Congrats on your finished build! Yes it is an old story but it shouldn't take away from your accomplishment or make you feel bad. I also have this ABC kit, along with the previous, even more primitive Bandai 1512, plus the relabeled UPC version! Shouldn't stop you from getting the new MFH car(s) either. You can build the NART version now!
Doesn't make me feel bad, I didn't mean to leave that impression. I actually find the whole thing rather amusing, similar things have happened to me before and to other modelers I know. Like you I have the UPC version of the 1512, as well as the Lotus 33. I also have a second ABC 158 kit that I bought with the intention of someday scratch building a flat 12 engine for it, but I probably will pick up an MFH 1512 kit, just looks too good to pass up.

Steve Sobieralski

wastgate
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari.
Italy

Post by wastgate »

Very nice kit.

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman