A good white primer for zero paints

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Re: A good white primer for zero paints

Post by Malcolm »

@Jaws said
I have now started using Alclad primer instead of Tamiya. It works great on all types of surface.
Will add that a larger .5 needle in the airbrush does give you better results. (1/12th Scale) That said I use a .3mm needle too on smaller parts.
In my experience, the Alclad grey was great but the white always came out very 'gritty'. Having said that, I do wonder if I ought to use a larger needle. I have only used a 0.4mm needle in the past. Perhaps I'll try a 0.6mm needle at some future stage.

This is only a theory, but is it possible that white primer generally has a larger particle size in order to give the necessary effect (white being less opaque than grey)? If the white primer particles are larger, then it would make sense that a larger nozzle is used.

Having said that, I'm not sure if Alclad have stopped production of their primer (or at least have stopped distributing it to the UK). There seems to be a real shortage of it over here and one site that I just looked at said that it was out of stock and suggested that production my have ceased.

Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Re: A good white primer for zero paints

Post by Malcolm »

Just by way of reference, I have now primed the body of the Subaru I'm currently working on using the Ultimate primer (this is my post-cataract rehabilitation project).

I've got to say that I'm really pleased with the result. I used 2 - 3 coats of the primer sprayed at apx 18 psi with a 0.6mm needle.

The primer seems to sand well - I may try the top coat tomorrow.

The advantage of a water based primer is the lack of smell (and therefore I don't get as much criticism as normal from Mrs Clark). The disadvantage is that the airbrush (especially the nozzle) is more difficult to clean compared to a cellulose based primer.

Subaru with primer.jpg