ZP resin & metal etching prime alternative

Ask away....

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

ZP resin & metal etching prime alternative

Post by danibear »

I am in USA. Normally, I go to Hobbyworld-USA website to get Zero Paint resin & metal etching prime for my PE, custom machined and resin parts.

Now, seems the shop is down or something, I placed 3 orders since last November, as of today, no sign of getting them..... So I would like to check with you concerning alternative resin & metal prime instead of ZP resin & metal etching prime. Thanks!
I am interested in any good etching effect yet still can be air-brushed prime for resin and metal.

Or where else in USA, I can get ZP resin & metal etching prime?

Thank you so much!!

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: ZP resin & metal etching prime alternative

Post by gp-models »

Look over to real cars and what is used on those, quiet often the better solution. You can get 2k Etch primer also for real cars and it has a strong bond to most surfaces, and what`s good for real cars, fit models as well. ;)
Take a stand!

dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

I purchased this after seeing Paul at International Scale Modeling used it in one of his videos.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H ... UTF8&psc=1

I have not tried it yet but he raves about how well it did for him after being decanted. I build a lot of white metal kits and was using the Rustoleum version of etch primer (from Home Depot). I used it on a 1/18 conversion and pledged to always use something like it for all future projects as I hate always risking the paint peeling.

Gorf
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Steve
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by Gorf »

UPOL Acid 8 as in the link posted by dgwoodward2.Dries quickly and doesn't smell as bad or as long as Rustoleum.

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Gorf wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:05 am UPOL Acid 8 as in the link posted by dgwoodward2.Dries quickly and doesn't smell as bad or as long as Rustoleum.
Thanks! How is the surface smoothness? I mean, as long as it dries to leave a surface smoothness like Tamiya grey spray can prime, I would be very happy.

Gorf
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by Gorf »

I find it to be very smooth and thin. I haven't tried it on photo etch yet but should work just fine.

Topic author
danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Gorf, dgwoodward2, thanks a bunch!

Just ordered this Acid#8 on Amazon. Will surely update my review later. I will show its smoothnesses and etch effect vs ZP resin & Metal etching prime.

Thanks again.

Gorf
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by Gorf »

You will like it.Didn't mention that it dries quickly too!

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

danibear wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:09 am I am in USA. Normally, I go to Hobbyworld-USA website to get Zero Paint resin & metal etching prime for my PE, custom machined and resin parts.

Now, seems the shop is down or something, I placed 3 orders since last November, as of today, no sign of getting them..... So I would like to check with you concerning alternative resin & metal prime instead of ZP resin & metal etching prime. Thanks!
I am interested in any good etching effect yet still can be air-brushed prime for resin and metal.

Or where else in USA, I can get ZP resin & metal etching prime?

Thank you so much!!
Hobbyworld-USA just moved web hosts over the past week and the site is working again although it may not be complete. He acquired a bad reputation over the last couple of years but seems to be trying to put things back where they need to be. They are supposedly expecting an order of Zero Paints very shortly.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I would recommend waiting until Hobbyworld USA has fixed the certificate issue on their website before ordering from them. Credit card information would be sent unencrypted which isn't great. Hopefully this is fixed shortly.