MP4/2C: THE ALL PURPOSE Italeri 1/12 THREAD!

A forum for builds of the Aoshima/Beemax McLaren MP4/2 kit.

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Re: MP4/2C: THE ALL PURPOSE Italeri 1/12 THREAD!

Post by Seema »

On a fb page there is a 4/2c conversion from Sean Carter Automotive Model Arts that is worth seeing. He also describes many of the kit's faults. For the brakes he uses the top studio mp4/6 brake set and the brake calipers from the MFH 4/4. He also describes the mirrored turbos and a lot of other things. It's a long project and is slowly coming to an end. I'm enthusiastic about his conversions and for me the best 4/2c I've seen so far. Check it out if you're on Facebook, there's plenty on offer for inspiration alone. If the link is not allowed I will delete it immediately.

https://www.facebook.com/TamiyaLotus49B
Seema

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Yes, the Sean Carter postings are great. I hope he puts them in one document.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Seema wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:18 pm On a fb page there is a 4/2c conversion from Sean Carter Automotive Model Arts that is worth seeing. He also describes many of the kit's faults. For the brakes he uses the top studio mp4/6 brake set and the brake calipers from the MFH 4/4. He also describes the mirrored turbos and a lot of other things. It's a long project and is slowly coming to an end. I'm enthusiastic about his conversions and for me the best 4/2c I've seen so far. Check it out if you're on Facebook, there's plenty on offer for inspiration alone. If the link is not allowed I will delete it immediately.

https://www.facebook.com/TamiyaLotus49B
Thanks for that, I'd never run across Sean (well, actually he's in a group I'm in but I didn't know about his page, lol) and now I need some time to read through his build.

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Seema, thanks for posting that link.
Its a shame people hide away on their own FB page rather than sharing on community sites such as F1M.

M.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

JamesB wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:15 am
stubeck wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:56 am I'll be picking this kit up as well as the 1/12 Lotus 99T. My Tokyo trip made it clear that car modeling isn't in as good of shape as it was a few years ago, and supporting new/rerelease models which come out is important.
Hmm!! I might have a nice ecuse to purchase one!! :lol: :lol:
Yes, that´s right. And lucky you with a Tokyo trip anyway :wink: Did you manage to visit any "sorcerer´s cave" shop with cool stuff?
Finishers in Ueno (near Asakusa) was great, but otherwise it was largely a disappointment. Even the Tamiya shop had less selection than last time. Its changed my mind on buying new kits, and even how I'm building, as I'm concerned that the golden age we're going through won't be sustainable if people don't buy models.

GTF2
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Graham Trotter
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams

Post by GTF2 »

For your information,
I emailed Mac at Mac’s modelling and asked him if he plans on doing an anodised wheel set for the MP4/2 and he says he’s drawn them and is just waiting for the kit to check the fit is correct.
Mac is a great guy and his wheels are excellent so if you want a set, send him an email showing some interest as hopefully, the bigger the batch the better the price will be.

Regards
Graham

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

GTF2 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:17 am For your information,
I emailed Mac at Mac’s modelling and asked him if he plans on doing an anodised wheel set for the MP4/2 and he says he’s drawn them and is just waiting for the kit to check the fit is correct.
Mac is a great guy and his wheels are excellent so if you want a set, send him an email showing some interest as hopefully, the bigger the batch the better the price will be.

Regards
Graham
So Italeri has updated the wheels and tires from what was in the original Protar kit? If not, Mac is creating a pricey and inaccurate product.

Paul Erlendson

GTF2
Formula e
Formula e

Post by GTF2 »

Hi all,
Does anyone have any gearbox photos for the McLaren Mp4/2 cars?
I have found some great pictures of a Tag turbo engine block but so far I haven’t had any luck with the gearbox.
Here is a link to the engine pictures below.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/198 ... -f1-engine

GTF2
Formula e
Formula e

Post by GTF2 »

I would expect Mac will make the wheels to the correct pattern and sizes, new tyres will be required such as Tamiya or MFH.

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

So, let's see ii I have this correct. Tires from the Tamiya "Big Three" are useable for this thing. Rims too?