Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: Model shops in Tokyo?

Post by stubeck »

Thanks so much for all the tips! I'll definitely post pictures when I get back.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

PlazaJapan might be also interesting for a visit....
https://www.plazajapan.com/cars-bikes/
Take a stand!

F1Xena
Top Designer
Top Designer
Your Name: Tania
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jordan
New Zealand

Post by F1Xena »

I’ve got another shop for you…Automodeli GT by Finishers. It is near Ueno, so not far from Akiharbara. Closest metro station is Inaricho, and it’s about 3.5 blocks down Kiyosubashi-dori Ave (turn left from station exit) The owner is the producer of Finishers paints, and is a motor racing and sci-fi fan. He usually has a good selection of resin kits from MFH, Studio 27 etc as well as 1/43, and aftermarket decals/pe. He also buys up collections, so there are often heaps of older kits (including aircraft) at good prices. Check their Facebook page as opening hours vary…normally closed Mon and Tues and open 1400-1900.
The four building blocks of the Universe are fire, water, styrene and white-metal.

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Can't believe I forgot Finisher's. That place is amazing. So much selection in reference books, resin kits, detail parts and decals.
Plaza Japan is online only.

F1Xena
Top Designer
Top Designer
Your Name: Tania
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jordan
New Zealand

Post by F1Xena »

One other place worth a look is the Shosen Book Tower in Akiharbara. I think it’s the 5th floor that has all the transport and military books/magazines. Most will be in Japanese, but they are worth it for the photos alone. I for a lot of my F1Modeling magazines and MFH Joe Honda books from there.
Yodobashi also has a book store on the upper floor with magazine racks including hobby stuff.
Enjoy. It really is an awesome place to visit. I’ve whiled away many days in Tokyo (and Osaka) browsing the shelves of model shops. 🙄😂
The four building blocks of the Universe are fire, water, styrene and white-metal.

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I’m on my way back home now and it seems that covid caused a big shift in stores. Yellow Submarine didn’t seem to have car models anymore. Volks had an amazing tool selection but had cleared out their model cars. Yodabashi camera also had a very limited selection of kits. Leonardo ET (believe that is the one) is also only military kits now. Leonardo LG had a much smaller selection than before and even still had many models from when I went last time. I didn’t go to MFH but they’ve banned customers from showing up to their store in a post on their Facebook page today.

The Tamiya shop is still great for tools and had a wonderful book selection as well.

The standout was Finishers in Ueno. I was able to get one of the 3d printed Red Bull kits which is very rare.

Unfortunately most places banned taking pictures so I didn’t take many

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Thought I should just mention that Model Factory Hiro posted a day or two ago that they are not set up at all for visitors - not even for in-person collection of kits ordered online. They say that they can arrange delivery to the reception desk of your hotel.

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Yep, I just posted about that. Their store was never really a store though, it was just their office. The reason they posted that was the storefront was another unaffiliated business next door that has since closed. I grew a bit frustrated with my lack of success finding kits so after a while stopped going places.

As an aside, I feel that anyone planning a trip to Japan should wait a year. We had an amazing time in 2019, but this time it wasn’t as great. It was still a nice trip, but people seemed more closed off. We stayed in Asakusa and were turned away from restaurants simply because we were foreigners (while speaking Japanese and wearing masks). We found other areas much more accommodating but it still wasn’t what I remember. People were more open later on in our trip when crowd levels decreased substantially. Our next trip we will avoid the period between sakura season and golden week

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Hi

These recent reports from Tokyo really sucks. :-( Last time I was there was in 2019 and it was fantastic. (November) With hobbyshow in Yokohama - full visit to all the shops and MFH as well who still had the aformentioned shop in the back room. Lots of built models and loads of stuff. It really sucks to realise that it was a highlight that may not come again? 'Sad' doesn't cover it. :-(

Flemming

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

It was largely a reminder to buy new kits when they come out and not wait. Car sales are obviously down, but waiting for a deal or when you have room isn’t helping things. I’ve preordered the Lotus 99t for example