Top Designer
Top Designer
Your Name: Karl
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Charles Leclerc
Malta

Proper 15 inch tyres for MFH 1/12 Ferrari 126C2

Post by glank27 »

I don't know if this was ever raised in the past but the availability (or lack of) in the market, forces me to inquire a bit more. I am currently building the Model Factory Hiro 1/12 Ferrari 126C2 in the Zolder version (ver. D). Its an awesome piece of kit, that yet again, just like most kits of the Ferrari 126C2 is ruined by incorrectly sized wheels. Although MFH state that its the Zolder version, with 15inch all round wheels, they are still a bit awkward and dont look as they should. The 15 inch Goodyears had a really particular look that made the car distinguish itslef when compared to other race cars that used the usual 13inch wheels. The amazing MFH turned rims are correctly sized and scaled as 15 inch, however the rubbers are badly sized. The tyre wall (profile) is larger than it should be and make the wheel look more bubble like and bulkier.
I had once purchased a set of resin tyres correctly moulded by JamesB, that are intended to be used as replacements for the Revell/Protar kit. I still can use them but they are not compatible with the rims in the MFH kit. I searched everywhere on google to try and find aftermarket wheels that are correctly scaled to the 1982 GoodYears in 15 inch trim. I think this is also an issue with the Williams FW07 kit which raced on some occasions on 15inch rims if i am not mistaken. Any idea if there's something on the market or in the pipeline to fix this issue. MFH kits are way expensive and its a shame to have it look a bit odd once displayed. Wheels are a very important aspect in the final model appearance and realism.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Proper 15 inch tyres for MFH 1/12 Ferrari 126C2

Post by 43rdMichael »

No solutions to offer, but i do share your frustration.

Tyres are a really significant part of the look of an open wheeler. When they are off, it has a big impact.

Topic author
glank27
Top Designer
Top Designer
Charles Leclerc
Malta

Post by glank27 »

I can't figure out how these things can escape the careful eyes of MFH when designing the kit.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thanks for mentioning my tyres :D
I´m glad they helped quite a few guys aout there :wink: I understand they are not par with what should be expected for an MFH kit.
Anyway what´s the problem? both with my tyres and MFH?
I know to begin with, my tyres include the "blind", interior side of the rim, but besides that...
Are MFH rims made just in one piece so a rigid tyre won´t fit? I am working on 3D printed tyres right now, so I´d like to know if rim free tyres would fit.
About MFH, what´s the diameter?
Not sure if it´s what we see here.
Yes it seems they sized the wheel proportionally to the 13 inch unit. The bad thing, I fear the rims also are not right. Speedline kept the 8 spoke part (the golden one) unchanged and made the rest bigger. I think the 15 inch rim looks like an upscaled 13 rim.
:roll: Ah, if MFH had hired some of us (good old Gilles or me :lol: ) they would not have that problem! :mrgreen:
Certainly the car does not look right!

Topic author
glank27
Top Designer
Top Designer
Charles Leclerc
Malta

Post by glank27 »

Will post about the dimensions once at home. The car in the picture is the San Marino GP version so should be 15 rear and 13 fronts. In the case of trying to use the MFH rims onto your wheels, its not possible as the MFH is a whole rim cylinder in which then you add the Speedline spokes and all the other details like nuts and valves. The rim can't get completely through due to a smaller diameter inside (the blind section you referred to i think) that is not an issue with the resin rims that i had along with your tyres. I still intend to paint and use your rims but probably will display them alogside the car in a pit environment.
Last edited by glank27 on Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
glank27
Top Designer
Top Designer
Charles Leclerc
Malta

Post by glank27 »

as for MFH dimensions, all 4 rims are 32mm diameter