1/12 P34 brake caliper too tight when using PE

Ask away...

Topic author
amerikalei
F3
F3
Your Name: Fred
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: John Surtees. Chris Amon. McLaren in the original papaya, although I do like Lando Norris in today's field.
United States of America

1/12 P34 brake caliper too tight when using PE

Post by amerikalei »

I've recently started the Tamiya 1/12 P34, newer release with PE. On the front hubs, there are PE pieces that mount to the plastic disk rotor, but the additional depth does not allow the smaller half of the caliper to be glued to the larger (hub carrier).

I've dug out one of the smaller caliper pieces to get it to sort of work on pine of the four (three to go!).

But given the tight clearances of all the bits I'm a bit concerned that this may create problems later. Need to do a wheel test fit, but event then, theres a lot going on with the front end and don't want to create a future issue.

Anyone else experience this and work around it?

I'm tempted to forego the PE on the disks. It looks better, actually more like a vented disk with the PE applied, but when the wheels are mounted will it be sufficiently visible to be worth the additional work? Just looking for informed comment. Thanks.

ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Great Britain

Re: 1/12 P34 brake caliper too tight when using PE

Post by ClassicF1 »

My experience with the PE additions to Tamiya 1/12 kits is that they don't fit! The kits were not designed with PE in mind, they were added to later releases to "bling" them up and make them more "modern" but nothing was done to the old molds to enable them to fit without considerable work.
Your options are to remove a few thou from the plastic discs to fit the PE and allow the calipers to fit or forget them and use paints to make the plastic discs more realistic.
TBH on the Tyrell the front discs are not very visible when fully assembled so I wouldn't bother, when I built mine I didn't and no one will know.

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

Sand the calipers , much easier

prancing_fox
F3
F3
Your Name: Igor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Felipe Massa
Ukraine

Post by prancing_fox »

Dear Fred,

i sanded a brake disks and than You don't need to modify anything else. You're right, these brake discs almost not visible on finished model.

Topic author
amerikalei
F3
F3
Your Name: Fred
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: John Surtees. Chris Amon. McLaren in the original papaya, although I do like Lando Norris in today's field.
United States of America

Post by amerikalei »

Thanks all, appreciate the insights. Tempted to leave them off, but those front suspension pictures look really nice. First time using PE on one of these kits, so glad to get the memo on the fact that allowances need to be made for the PE in situations like this. Regardless I staged all four using the existing plastic with the PE just glued on, so two steps forward one step back, or however that goes.

I was just looking at the 1976-77 Automobile Year last night for additional references and was struck by how relatively successful these cars were that year. Seems like a few rear suspension failures cost them on reliability. But generally closer than I had recalled as a young F1 enthusiast.

Thanks again, Fred