Ferrari 1512 1/12 Giorgino Model

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Re: Ferrari 1512 1/12 Giorgino Model

Post by PJE »

PJE wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:51 pm Once again I’ve been thinking about my own 1/20 scale Ferrari 158 project Malc. 8)
Any hope that we’ll get to see you back on your 1512 sometime soon? :)

Paul Erlendson
Thought I’d check in again Malc. Anything new?

Paul Erlendson

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Oh, cough, cough, sorry, I have a small update, I will post it later.
Currently about 75% the way through a 1/32 scratch built Short Bristow Crusader!
A member of the local model club recently announced that they would do parts from their 3D printer for us, BUT we had to provide the 3D model, so I have been teaching myself how......... Its not easy!
I am attempting wheels for the 1512.

Malc.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

So now is later.
A short while ago this got kicked back in to life when I discovered that the gearbox in the 1512/158 is the same as used in the 1967 312, which conveniently MFH have released in 1/12, in fact most of the drive train of the ’66 and ‘67 312 and 1512/158 appears to be common. I had hopes that MFH would sell me some spares, but no such luck!

Actually I lied, what really kicked it back to life was being able to borrow one of the afore mentioned 312 g/box to compare, so lets be kind and say the original kit engine and ‘box are somewhat lacking……. in particular the engine cam covers are a bigger work of fiction than Sherlock Holmes, and as that’s the bit most visible - something needs to be done!
So I broke out the digital caliper, channelled my inner Gerald Wingrove, and copied the good gearbox.
Image Image Image Image Image
I took the chance to use some of the most excellent Meng nuts ‘n bolts on the gearbox sump and end plate.
I was quite pleased by how that came out, so spurred on I made the frame that goes between the engine and gearbox which is the bracket for the multitude of ign coils, oh and support for the rear suspension.
And started on the engine.
Now I knew that there would be tears, heartache and many reworks required, so before investing time in plastic I made a wooden mock up. I believe the arty types would call this a maquette.
Set the trumpets in – the drawing has different angle for each bank! So I took the average.
Image Image
The ‘gap’ at the front is for the distributor drive and water pump.
I also borrowed the cam covers from my Sharknose, which only being a V6 are too short, but the chain drive bit (front end) is representative. Looking at the engines and drive trains from 1961 to 1967 its amazing how many parts are carried over virtually unaltered.
Malc.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Great update. Worth the wait. 🤣

Impressive build skills!!

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Thanks!
So continuing with the engine.
One of the details I am really undecided over is if the mating face of the lower cam covers is flat or angled, in the pic above my first attempt I made it flat to the ground plane.
On my second attempt I also set the top cam cover to a steeper angle and the bottom one angled up slightly.
I also realised the trumpet spacing is in pairs.
In the end I got through three iterations, each one getting a bit closer to the real thing.
The second one I made the block taller and angled the top cam cover down a bit more.
The final one has the top cam cover at an even steeper angle, the oil drain tubes added and the intakes moved inboard a smidge.
There is a lot more wigglyness involved in the main crankcase, but now I think I know where it all is, I can start on the plastic version.
The main crankcase of the full size engine appears to be split in to 4 separate vertical pieces, the two main crankcase halves, 2 sets of cylinder barrels then the heads bolted on to the barrels – like a VW Beetle engine.
And with new gearbox and the mock up of the coil bracket (oh- suspension frame) in balsa with a dizzy cap from a Matra V12. The 1512 has two plugs per cyl so needs two 12 cyl dizzys!
And with the coil bracket finalised (immortalised?) in plastic.
I have ordered some 20mm dia plastic tube which will form the basis of the centre of the crankcase.

So thats where I'm up to at the moment, I hope it will not be so long for another update - PJE keep asking!
Have to clear a few of the others off the desk first though.

I am trying an experiment with pictures by hosting on imgbb.com, so you have to click on the pics a couple of times to get to the full size. Not sure if its better or worse than using F1M as the pic host?

Comments, criticism, questions - all welcome!

Malc.

woodgp
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: j.wood
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: williams
Canada

Post by woodgp »

so cool , great stuff , fantastic ideas ...thanks ..Joe

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

I am so excited that you’re back on this project! I now have a better understanding as to the structure between the back of the engine and the front of the transaxle. Helps me a lot with my 1/20 158. I hope we can all cheer you on with your effort with this model.
And yes, I too have been a big fan of Wingrove and have all his books. 8)

Paul Erlendson

f40
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by f40 »

incredible work !!!!! :D

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Oh my goodness Malc, how did i missed this??
Awesome work, realy cool! :)
Take a stand!