WIP Tameo 1/24 F2002

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

jorgeralvear
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Jorge Alvear
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Kimi/Ferrari
Chile

Re: WIP Tameo 1/24 F2002

Post by jorgeralvear »

Great work getting the kit up to your standards! If I need to put mounting pins, and line them up with holes, I place the pins first, dab some paint on the tips of the pins, and then contact the model with the painted tips. The paint comes off exactly where I need to drill after that. Fantastic work, hope you keep going with updates!

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

That's an excellent suggestion. I did not consider doing that with the longer pins which are needed for main support, but the add-on pins can be shorter and I think they will line up much better using your suggestion. Thanks much -

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Had missed a couple of updates here, but great progress!

As others have noted, your patience and commitment is impressive - as are the results.

These 1/24 kits really aren’t tameo’s finest hour. They really deserved a redesign rather than a scale up. That said, as you are highlighting, the shape is good and with effort to thin down the parts, a nice model can be achieved.

I like the scale and hope they have another crack at it in the future.

Excited for the next update.

Topic author
AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

The shape is really accurate Michael you are correct. I think you mentioned that Luca has access to Ferrari's CAD files for prototyping the shape via license, and it shows. The shapes are very accurate, particularly in parts of the car which are subtle and influential such as the sidepods having a slightly concave shape to the vertical outer wall. Most every F2002 kit that I've seen misses that, as well as the slight stagger in width between the floor and the sidepod leading edges. The real car has these, but only the Tameo model does them accurately.

Honestly, the biggest challenges in the kit have all related to white metal warpage from casting and cooling. That, and really thick edges on the floor and diffuser which are hard to get at with files and Dremel bits because of the complex shapes.

I feel like the kit has taught me better technique though, because I have to raise my game anticipating potential problems and solutions for them.

AJ