Spraying Tamiya TS-23

Ask away...

Topic author
1slowhand
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Spraying Tamiya TS-23

Post by 1slowhand »

Good day all. I have a question regarding Tamiya TS-23 light blue spray paint (rattle can). When testing the paint on white plastic spoons it dries to a "mottled" finish with gloss, simi-gloss and flat areas. Looks terrible. Can anyone provide any tips on why this is happening? I thought this was a gloss finish paint but perhaps not? Thanks for your help.

SanMarino
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Re: Spraying Tamiya TS-23

Post by SanMarino »

You are correct in thinking that it is a gloss paint as Tamiya's website describes it as: "A glossy shade of light blue."

The only thing that comes to my simple mind is how the paint was applied. By this I mean not applying a consistent wet coat. I have had instances where not applying a wet coat across an entire surface had similar results to what you described.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I have been experiencing this issue with different TS paints as well. I had wondered if the paint was old or if me having left it in the garage to go through different temperatures had affected the paint.

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi 1slowhand,

Could be an issue with the paint not mixing properly. Suggest thoroughly shaking the can for at least two minutes.
If it's cold where you are painting then warm the can but do this carefully. You don't want the can to explode. Perhaps sit the can in warm water for a minute then shake again for a few more minutes to get the warmed paint properly mixed.

Again, be careful when warming the can. Use warm water, not boiling. As an alternative, sit the can in direct sunlight for a minute. The aim is to warm the contents of the can without causing the can to explode due to too much internal pressure.

If it is humid then that will also cause problems. Try painting on a warm dry day with low humidity.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I live in Houston and it is humid most of the year

All TS paints applied correctly, in several mist coats and several wet coats will get glossy, but not in the humidity, I paint in a 3rd car garage with an AC unit and Damp Rid, works great all year, but on super humid days it just won’t work

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

The paint dries outside in so especially on blues will “fog” the finish

Topic author
1slowhand
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by 1slowhand »

Thanks to all of you for you valuable comments. Will try mixing longer and warming paint before trying the spoon tests again. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

To heat up the can, try putting it in a jar/bowl of warmish water for a few minutes.

Also, if the shaking does not work, try spraying into the air while holding the can upside down for half a second.
Then give it a good squeeze (again into air, not on model) the right way up.
I have had a similar experience to you, and my theory was that the mix was not flowing right through the nozzle...
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

SanMarino
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Post by SanMarino »

1slowhand wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:18 am Thanks to all of you for you valuable comments. Will try mixing longer and warming paint before trying the spoon tests again. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.
Let us know how it works out for you.

Topic author
1slowhand
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by 1slowhand »

Success !!! After a delay due to illness and bad weather (I'm in Calif and must paint outdoors) I followed your suggestions regarding extended mixing and warming of paint prior to spraying and the results were great. Thanks again for all of your feed back. I'll be following these steps in the future with all TS rattle cans. Thanks again.