1/12 MFH Porsche 917 LH

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Re: 1/12 MFH Porsche 917 LH

Post by blakebirk »

Wow! Very impressive work. Congratulations on the patients it must have taken.

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Quick update, finally got the front bodywork installed.

Frustrating. Everything that was not installed during the (pre-painting) test fit, is in the way of a good fit. So I had to take things off again multiple times and remove quite a lot of material.
Frustrating. Everything that was not installed during the (pre-painting) test fit, is in the way of a good fit. So I had to take things off again multiple times and remove quite a lot of material.
Finally the body is on! Needs a cleaning job now, after all the rough manhandling to get things in place...
Finally the body is on! Needs a cleaning job now, after all the rough manhandling to get things in place...
Luckily the doors can still open.
Luckily the doors can still open.
IMG_7303.jpg
Quite happy with a side windows since I sprayed the outer edges...
Quite happy with a side windows since I sprayed the outer edges...
... not so much with the gaps under the doors. No idea where these come from but there is nothing I can (or want to) do about that now.
... not so much with the gaps under the doors. No idea where these come from but there is nothing I can (or want to) do about that now.

Now on with the rear parts. Should be easier -- but you never know with this one...

Thanks for your comments, and see you next time.

Marcus

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

With all that problems or better major problems, you have done a great job so far, nothing to worry about Marcus, those doors are looking better then most of other MFH builds i have seen.
Now i understand why there are so less WIP about that car around!
What do you think about an Autograph of Willi Kauhsen beside the model? He is living next door to Alice, oh well, i have that song in mind but it is my own door! :lol:
Might be possible to contact him and get such signing from him. ;)
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Ha, that would be AWESOME!! So Willi Kauhsen is you neighbor? :D

Today I worked on getting the rear cowling to fit properly. Fit was good a few months ago, but not anymore. Had to take away a lot of material, and it's very hard to find out where exactly the contact takes place.

Rounded off most of the edges of the wheel well that probably made contact with the cowling
Rounded off most of the edges of the wheel well that probably made contact with the cowling
Took away as much material as I dared in the problem area.. it's quite thin now in some places
Took away as much material as I dared in the problem area.. it's quite thin now in some places
This is how far I got it, close to acceptable. The gap was around 3 mm yesterday, so this is already a lot better. I could try placing heavier magnets, but I don't want to get destructive at this stage. Paint cracking, decals flying off -- nothing would really surprise me anymore :p
This is how far I got it, close to acceptable. The gap was around 3 mm yesterday, so this is already a lot better. I could try placing heavier magnets, but I don't want to get destructive at this stage. Paint cracking, decals flying off -- nothing would really surprise me anymore :p
The other side was never a problem, much better
The other side was never a problem, much better
And while I'm worrying that another paint layer might be too thick to be able to close the cowling, MFH wants me to install these right in the tightest spot...
And while I'm worrying that another paint layer might be too thick to be able to close the cowling, MFH wants me to install these right in the tightest spot...
Not using these of course!
Not using these of course!

Maybe another round tomorrow...

Cheers, Marcus

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Hey Marcus,

<Clarkson voice> SWEEEEEEEEET!</>
You know with the doors.. f the bloody doors. My thinking is that you made the doors fit with the raw white metal door without paint. Now that there are what I assume is several layers of primer, paint and clear on them, I'm not that surprised that there might be fitment issues. However, it seems that the fit is damn near perfect on 3 of the 4 sides. Then again, looking at the shape of the doors again, I think it is just down to being slightly wider on all sides due to the paint layers. So for the next one, have the doors slightly smaller with a bigger gap when not painted. Piece of cake (hahaha, chucks my own in the bin).

I have another question though - as I haven't open the box of mine in 2 or 3 years - did you colour the side windows and the headlight covers? I would expect them to be the same clear as the windscreen.

/edit
oh wee new post. even better. You know, when can I come pick this bothersome thing up and rid you of it (one less thing to worry about)? ;) As compensation I'll leave my K438 with you if that's ok for you :D
Cheers,
Roman

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

sky1911 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:51 pm So for the next one, have the doors...
THE NEXT ONE..? I'm not sure if I could handle one of these again... I hope that implicitly and politely answers your last question :mrgreen:

No, for the next coupe of months it's back to Airfix snap fit kits for therapy... :lol:

Okay, serious mode on:
Actually, somewhere down the road, I did protect the door rubbers with liquid mask, exactly to prevent extreme paint build up. My guess is that the main "guide" hinges are a bit out of position (not unthinkable...). So I'll try a bit of bending there. Anyway, I realize that in every build there is a phase that the builder sees ONLY the flaws (under a magnifying glass) and nothing of the beauty... that's probably where I am right now :?

Indeed I sprayed the inside of the headlight covers and the side windows with a mix of clear yellow and clear. I didn't want to overdo it. It did take some sanding and polishing to achieve proper undistorted transparancy again. And now we're at it, I would not use those side window stickers again. They have an ugly texture and are a bit hard to handle and place -- I had a hard time avoiding fingerprints on the sticky side.

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

Yes, we all hit the point where we only see the flaws but take it from an outsider, that thing is BEAUTIFUL! you should be proud of the work you've put into it.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

No he is not realy my direct neighbour but living only a few kilometers away from me ;)
I will sent you pm about it ;)
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Time for an update. Definity NOT ready yet, but getting close now.

Already posing with a few of its friends... this pic shows extreme misalignment of the right rear wheel (easy fix)
Already posing with a few of its friends... this pic shows extreme misalignment of the right rear wheel (easy fix)
Back end coming together, but not without its problems of course. The left side fits really well actually
Back end coming together, but not without its problems of course. The left side fits really well actually
Right side is not so nice. Problem is (not visible) that the lower part is 2 mm too far backwards. That's mostly visible around the wheel, and cannot be solved without taking the whole subframe apart (which I already partly did to lift the ultimate rear part, otherwise the two shells would not meet). Wheel alignment is corrected here.
Right side is not so nice. Problem is (not visible) that the lower part is 2 mm too far backwards. That's mostly visible around the wheel, and cannot be solved without taking the whole subframe apart (which I already partly did to lift the ultimate rear part, otherwise the two shells would not meet). Wheel alignment is corrected here.
Pushed small pins though drilled holes in the lower parts of the vertical clamps, to keep both parts tightly joined.
Pushed small pins though drilled holes in the lower parts of the vertical clamps, to keep both parts tightly joined.
This works great, but because the lower rear path is 1-2 mm too far back, the rear cowling is now also too far back so the gap in the middle of the car is 1-2 mm bigger... I will try to fix that by indenting the location where the clamps touch the lower part, to enabled the rear cowling to move 1 mm forward . Depending on photographic angle, I can then prioritize/optimize panel gaps ;)
This works great, but because the lower rear path is 1-2 mm too far back, the rear cowling is now also too far back so the gap in the middle of the car is 1-2 mm bigger... I will try to fix that by indenting the location where the clamps touch the lower part, to enabled the rear cowling to move 1 mm forward . Depending on photographic angle, I can then prioritize/optimize panel gaps ;)
IMG_7423.jpg

After that it's mainly a matter of cleaning up, removing some visible glue accidents, repairing paint chips, some rough edges and spots where I polished though the paintwork (mainly on sharp corners).

Marcus

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Quoting Bob Ross here "happy little accidents" ;)
Well, I was going to say it is coming together nicely, but... you claim otherwise. In any case what seems to be the issue with the rear body parts (upper and lower) - did they fit nicely while the frame was not installed? If so that would hint at the frame being outsized. Something I plan to fix altogether by not using the MFH frame anyway but fashion one out of brass and aluminium tubes (solid brass on the inside for strength, thin ali tubes on the outside for looks) as I found that the frame is more of an approximation anyway. I've built a jig for the frame aeons ago, I think it's in a post around here somewhere. Oh and what was the reason for the wonky rear wheel? Same issue with the subframe?

Other than that this is beautiful, add a bunch of chips, put on some wear and tear and a liberal application of dirt and BAM :)

Btw - is that 315S (#535) in the background a 1/24? It seems really tiny vs. the P4 which wasn't the biggest car to begin with - also beautiful!
Last edited by sky1911 on Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Roman