Tyre stencil help

Ask away...

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Tyre stencil help

Post by bossy122 »

I keep trying these PE Goodyear stencils but A. Can never get them lined up properly and B. Can't get a solid result on the bulbous rear tyres of the 70s. Unfortunatley, Tamiya did a lot of reissues with Goodyears blessing so the tyres don't have the raised lettering that I would normally fill in with watered down acrylic white. I have seen some great results from stencil and would love some tips on how to line up properly and overcome the tyre wall curve. Thanks in advance.

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Re: Tyre stencil help

Post by Orso »

It wasn't always so perfect in real life either.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Orso wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:08 pm It wasn't always so perfect in real life either.

No, there's a great picture at the front of either 1978s or 1979s Autocourse that the stencil was outside the raised letters but I can't even get my stencil lined up properly. Damn thing is either too high or too low, anything but centered.

notime4me
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by notime4me »

You can try pressing down on the sidewall with the stencil to flatten the curvature of it before you spray. You can very the 'overspray' around the edges of the lettering depending on how much you press down.

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Bossy,

Could you consider mounting the PE template onto a piece of clear decal sheet instead of the tyre sidewall, spray the decal sheet with a thin acrylic flat white coat, then apply the decal onto the curved surface of the tyre?

If so I would suggest a clear gloss coat sprayed onto the tyre sidewall, apply the decal using applicable decal solvents, then a thin coat of flat clear after the decal has completely dried.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Y'know, I did think of that but didn't want the film to show. I may still try it to see how it looks. One problem I am noticing is that the Lotus 78 had really small front tyres. Currently I have poached the tyres from an older Lotus 78 kit with the letters I can fill in. The problem there is that the fronts on the old kit are that "3 piece" tyre while the newer ones are "2 piece", nice and round with the single seam down the middle. And, of course, now Tamiya is rerererereleasing things with Goodyear markings. Aaah, me.
I wonder if I could spray onto Scotch tape, place that where I want it on the tyre, put the stencil over that then pull the tape off........hmmmmm....