Topic author
tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

TS-30 advice needed

Post by tubegenius »

I'm getting ready to do some silver cars, Mercedes and Porshe, and I was wondering. Do you guys use a layer of gloss black underneath TS-30 (silver leaf) or just spray it over grey primer? Thanks for any tips regarding TS-30.

pmodwrks
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Chris
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LOTUS F-1 THE MOST CREATIVE, INIVATIVE AND MULTI-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS. COLLIN CHAPMAN WAS A GENIUS AS WAS THE MANY DESIGNERS, MECHANIC AND CREWMEN THAT DESIGNED, CREATED, BUILT, MAINTAINED AND RACED. NO OTHER TEAM IN HISTORY HAS MATCHED THEIR RECORD.
United States of America

Re: TS-30 advice needed

Post by pmodwrks »

I usually apply TS-30 directly to the bare plastic, that way I retain any fine detail. It will only take a couple of coats to get a great finish. Clear coating, either gloss, semi-gloss or flat will change the finish actually make it dull or flat even using gloss so I leave it as is. the Mercedes 300sl SCCA car was a red plastic with 2 coats of TS-30Image I also use the AS_12 Tamiya Silver Leaf will give you a nice bright bare metal look. If you are not clear coating refrain from handling it for about 3 weeks to avoid disturbing the finish, letting it gas out and cure helps a lot.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I agree with pmodwrks - directly over bare plastic. Just make sure any patchwork/sanding is perfectly smooth and seamless as it will show EVERY bit of detail. If there is a lot of patching then a smooth primer coat might be in order, but you can put TS 30 over any color and it's color will not alter. I've even used it as a color barrier when doing white over red plastic - red plastic - TS30 - white primer - white

Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Post by Marcel »

If you have to mask off after painting, I would recommend a primer. Just to avoid unintentional tearing of the paint layer from the bare plastic.

Topic author
tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. pmodwrks, I figured there was extra curing time needed, I'll allow three weeks as you suggest. Also, I'm very fond of AS-12. I use it for anything that calls for XF-16 flat aluminum, Cosworth engines, tubs for '70s F-1 cars, and such. Michael, I seem to remember a thread where you used TS-30 to keep the red plastic from leeching into the white painted areas on an Ebbro Lotus 72C. Marcel, your advice makes sense. Fortunately, the cars I'll be using it on are the Sauber C-9, and various Porsches with Martini livery that don't require masking, Picked up a can today from my LHS. :D