Post your best modeling tips here.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: White metal polish?

Post by daveyman »

There's a product called wire wool in the UK, don't know if it's available worldwide. Think that should work. Its lightly abrasive but good for getting into smaller areas.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

daveyman wrote:There's a product called wire wool in the UK, don't know if it's available worldwide. Think that should work. Its lightly abrasive but good for getting into smaller areas.
Wire wool is steel wool in the USA and is available in several grades. The 0000 is good for cleanup followed by your polishing method of choice. The brass brush - often sold as a "suede" brush, the dremel attachments, the metal polishes, even jeweller's rouge - which comes in different colors (colours to some of us) for different metals.
The results are going to vary with the quality of the metal alloy in the kit but some parts will shine up quite nicely. Some will oxidize back to a dull finish eventually, some will even suffer the dreaded metal rot where the surface becomes quite rough looking.
Brasso and Nevr Dull (Duraglit) are both definitely metal polishes but there are many others. Simichrome is another highly popular one, has a consistency like toothpaste and goes on nicely by cloth or polishing bob.

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

jaydar wrote:
PeteJ wrote:Mother's Mag & aluminum Polish really does a nice job. Get a cone shaped felt tip for your dremel and wet the part and a bit of polish on the tip and it will clean up the corners very nicely. It will polish white metal to a chrome finish if that is what you want.
This would be my go to method!! I think the question I would pursue is whether the polished parts, using this or any other method, needs to be clear coated to preserve the appearance.

Regards,

Joe.

This is a great question! as much time as it takes to polish up these pieces it would break my heart to see them tarnish and look terrible in 10 years. I tend to coat parts with flat or matte clear coats but have found that spraying clear on highly polished parts tends to dull them a little. many clears tend to yellow with time as well so its a bit of a dilemma.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

I never tried it but maybe some of you did, will a silver polishing cloth work? Big problem with bringing it to a chrome shine is that the white metal is a soft metal, on harder metals it is more easy.
If you have problems with yellowing clear, it might depend on your using 1K or a 2k urethan, switch over to real automotive 2k clear and those problems don`t show up anymore.
Take a stand!

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

If you are concerned about yellowing try Alclad Acqua Gloss Clear. I have used it over Alclad chrome on many motorcycle models and I have had no yellowing.

Regards,

Joe.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

You might try a set of Micro Mesh sticks. They sell them in sets that go from 3200 up to 12000 grit. I use the spongy pad set and it works wonders.
Attachments
This is what they do to a big flat piece.....does anyone make above 12000 grit? I still see scratches!
This is what they do to a big flat piece.....does anyone make above 12000 grit? I still see scratches!

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

For the finish of the white metal parts I use this polish.
Attachments
DSC_0860-800x600.JPG
Seema

BigF1fan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by BigF1fan »

BigF1fan wrote:Flitz polish is also an excellent product.
I agree, Flitz polish is excellent. I've used it on copper, brass,white metal and aluminum.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

BigF1fan wrote:
BigF1fan wrote:Flitz polish is also an excellent product.
I agree
Big surprise. It would be pretty remarkable if you didn't.
Je ne regrette rien.

pbrowne
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Peter Browne
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Brabham - Lauda, Senna
Australia

Post by pbrowne »

In addition to extra fine steel wool and and Micro Mesh cloth patches of various grades, I use a Dremel with cotton buffing wheel, depending on the desired level of shine. I run the buffing wheel along a polishing compound block from the hardware store. Like this one (you can find similar where you live):

https://www.josco.com.au/product/brumby ... und-green/

https://www.josco.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Josco_Polishing_SSXCARD-1-330x330.jpg

The polishing compound and buffing wheel combo will produce a very bright finish on white metal. The block above is 13cm x 3.5cm x 3.5 cm and will last a very long time (I doubt you would ever use it all) and produces an excellent finish. I'm currently using it on the white metal tubular frame for the 1/20 MFH Ferrari 156 Sharknose. It will remove any grain from the white metal moulding process. You need to take care that you don't polish long in the one spot, but apply gradually and lightly, as it produces heat from the rotary friction which can affect the white metal.
Perth, Western Australia