Cutting decals

Ask away...

fade_to_black
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Cutting decals

Post by fade_to_black »

Hi Bossy!

Yes, I have here the reference: ST27-DC12 1600. They depict the Swedish 96 rally, which means it is a direct replacement of Tamiya ones, but without the orange and red. Some drawbacks: you have to paint the orange stripe and there are no template for masking the red and orange
I don't have experience with Gaia paints, but mr. color provides a very nice finish
Good luck with your search and let me know if you need more info on the decals

Best regards
Finishing: Sauber C30; Lotus 107C
Next: Porsche 917k; Ford Focus WRC 2010

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

fade_to_black wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:49 am Hi Bossy!

Yes, I have here the reference: ST27-DC12 1600. They depict the Swedish 96 rally, which means it is a direct replacement of Tamiya ones, but without the orange and red. Some drawbacks: you have to paint the orange stripe and there are no template for masking the red and orange
I don't have experience with Gaia paints, but mr. color provides a very nice finish
Good luck with your search and let me know if you need more info on the decals

Best regards
I am guessing that you know to make your own template by using the Tamiya decals and a light table to draw onto masking paper, yes?
That set of decals must be even rarer than the Shunkos as even Studio 27s site doesn't list them. Looks like i'm making my own.

rusomela
Formula e
Formula e

Post by rusomela »

bossy122 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:40 am A different version of the same question ( i'm guessing the varnish will be the answer here): when printing your own decals on say, Testors white sheets, what do you coat them with so that they don't just crumble when hitting water?
Apparently Testors used to make something called "decal bonder" in a rattle can but not anymore? Recommendations for a similar item? I have the thought of die cutting my own decal using TS spray on decal paper, cut to the squiggly shape of the Repsol stripe.
I print my own carbon fiber decals and what I do is once I spray them with two (sometimes three) coats of Vallejo satin varnish. The more layers, the more it will cost Microsol. Vallejo varnish works well for that reason, it allows Microsol to act. If I cover the decals with a synthetic varnish, Microsol no longer works the same. Anyway I use to soften the decals and give them acetic acid form, it works very well.

fade_to_black
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by fade_to_black »

[/quote]

I am guessing that you know to make your own template by using the Tamiya decals and a light table to draw onto masking paper, yes?
That set of decals must be even rarer than the Shunkos as even Studio 27s site doesn't list them. Looks like i'm making my own.
[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply.
No, I found the Tamiya manual online and used the decal placement sheet. I printed several of those sheets until I got the right size, compared with the kit and then made masking templates from there. To do the masking templates use Tamiya yellow tape (p.ex.) over the paper sheet and then place another layer of tape over the first one. Then you can trim the contour you desire several times, since the tape you use is not in contact with paper, but with the first layer of tape. I don't know how to upload photos of the process, but I hope it was clear...
As for decals, those from S27 were old... good luck for your search

Best regards
Finishing: Sauber C30; Lotus 107C
Next: Porsche 917k; Ford Focus WRC 2010