Ebbro 1/20 Tyrrell 002 - 1971 German GP - François Cevert

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Ebbro 1/20 Tyrrell 002 - 1971 German GP - François Cevert

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Hello everyone,

I've got a terrible habit of starting a bunch of kits. So I've decided to start another one. A couple years ago I build a 003, so I'm doing the 002 this time. Someday I'd like to build the whole lineup of 001-004, but that's for another day! I will build François Cevert's car that he finished 2nd with in the 1971 German GP. I was thinking about doing his 1971 US GP-winning car, but the windscreen is painted white and I didn't like the look.

Here are some photos of the engine/transmission/rear suspension mostly finished. I stripped the kit chrome and repainted the parts with Alclad chrome. I also did some extra wiring and will add some plumbing as well.

Here's what I'll eventually have built:

And the 003 (also from the '71 German GP) for Jackie Stewart I built a while back:

More to come soon!

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Ebbro 1/20 Tyrrell 002 - 1971 German GP - François Cever

Post by M.Chriss »

Fantastic!
Michael Chriss

Bonanza
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Donovan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Bonanza »

Coming along nice!

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

I am very bad at providing updates to these threads.

Work continues on the Tyrrell. I airbrushed Tamiya TS-15 Blue and used Mr. Hobby Diamond Cut UV Gloss Clear. I sprayed it a little too thick and the paint was slightly damaged in a few places. Next time I will decant and airbrush that clear.

The engine and chassis have been mated. I've done ignition wiring, spark plug leads, oil cooler plumbing, and brake lines. You can see the oil cooler plumbing, I have used some Top Studio connectors. It was my first time using them, they are amazing!

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Big update!

After a long evening of swearing, I've gotten the front suspension/radiator together. I don't remember having so much trouble with the first 003 I build a few years ago, so I must've made a mistake somewhere. In the end it'll be covered so it doesn't matter much. All the plastic chrome was stripped and resprayed with Alclad.

Wheels and tires on! I sanded the tires to remove the seam down the middle. It's starting to look like a race car!

I'm not here yet, but I couldn't resist a mockup. I'm pleased with how it's going.

As promised, here's a better shot of the rear of the car, showing the extra wiring and plumbing that I added.

More to come!
Jake

Belugawrx
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Belugawrx
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Wolf Williams Lotus
Canada

Post by Belugawrx »

Nice work Jake !
The extra details to the back end look legit ! (2thmbsup)
Cheers
Bruce Coy

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Yeah this WIP is a bit short at history, but i understand why :D
Very good progress, engine and the added wires looking nice, keep it going!
Take a stand!

ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

It's looking fantastic! Crisp and very neat.

Question! When you did all that engine/gearbox/rear end work, did you try to glue together as many pieces as possible first, and then do the painting? OR do you paint every last little piece on its own, and then glue the painted pieces together?

I hate glueing painted parts together and always want to glue as much raw plastic together as I can before I reach for the airbrush, but I'm starting to question my technique.

Thanks!

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

ringleheim wrote:It's looking fantastic! Crisp and very neat.

Question! When you did all that engine/gearbox/rear end work, did you try to glue together as many pieces as possible first, and then do the painting? OR do you paint every last little piece on its own, and then glue the painted pieces together?

I hate glueing painted parts together and always want to glue as much raw plastic together as I can before I reach for the airbrush, but I'm starting to question my technique.

Thanks!
Thank you! I assembled several things before painting. Things like the 4-piece engine block, the 3-piece gearbox, 6-piece rear wing, and each five-piece exhaust system all were assembled before painting. That way I could make sure all the fitment issues were taken care of and I wouldn't have to worry about messing up the paint when glueing. For the other parts, I cut them from the sprue, sand to fit as needed, group by color (so I can paint them all together), then paint before assembly.

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Work continues on the Tyrrell.

I did some interior work, adding the dashboard, instruments, steering assembly, and shift knob. I added wiring to the three gauges. Those three wires are combined into a larger wire to make it easier to handle and to make it fit under the bodywork. I had to cut away some of the plastic along the seat to get the body to fir over the wire. Under close magnification the paint looks rather shoddy! I may do some touchups after seeing this picture.

I also finished up the paint on the bodywork. I used TS-13 clear and had a little run on the front of this piece. Some light sanding and polishing should work out alright. The windscreen and mirrors will be added once I get that done.

Thanks for looking!
Jake