Tamiya Toyota TS050

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

SimonaModelismo
F2
F2
Your Name: Simon
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
Argentina

Re: Tamiya Toyota TS050

Post by SimonaModelismo »

Those antennas look very thick, why not use stretch sprue for replace them?? I think that way they would be much better!
And the paint in the front will be corrected with the red decals right??
Beautifull car btw,

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Great progress ! Not much left. Thanks for "trailblazing" it for us !

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

stubeck wrote:
CelicaGT wrote:It's looking really good!

Question about the elmer's glue...you just spread a thin layer of it over the tire decal to make the decal less shinny? I have some tire decals I'd like to tone down. Thanks.
Yep! I typically layer it on in a few coats to make sure it dries well, but its super easy to do. If you'd find it useful, I could make a separate thread with how to do it.
I will give it a try the next time I have a chance to model (not often these days with work, etc.) and let you know how it goes, thanks!

SanMarino
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Post by SanMarino »

stubeck wrote:
CelicaGT wrote:It's looking really good!

Question about the elmer's glue...you just spread a thin layer of it over the tire decal to make the decal less shinny? I have some tire decals I'd like to tone down. Thanks.
Yep! I typically layer it on in a few coats to make sure it dries well, but its super easy to do. If you'd find it useful, I could make a separate thread with how to do it.

A separate thread when you have time would be great. Not clear to me if you apply the glue straight out of the bottle or thin it down with water.

Cheers,
Mike

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

SimonaModelismo wrote:Those antennas look very thick, why not use stretch sprue for replace them?? I think that way they would be much better!
And the paint in the front will be corrected with the red decals right??
Beautifull car btw,
Its integrated into the part, and I'm building this kit box stock by following the directions, so I'm not replacing any parts. The front will be corrected a bit by the red decals but there will still be a gap.

1slowhand
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by 1slowhand »

Just a quick "Thank you" for one of the most useful wip threads I've yet to see. Your detail description of the build process, including problem areas and "errors" ( which take real character to post) will be invaluable to anyone building this kit. Thanks again and keep up the great work!!

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

1slowhand wrote:Just a quick "Thank you" for one of the most useful wip threads I've yet to see. Your detail description of the build process, including problem areas and "errors" ( which take real character to post) will be invaluable to anyone building this kit. Thanks again and keep up the great work!!
+1

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I'll start with an in progress shot as I took away one of the decals while polishing! There weren't really any dramas with the decals, although the red decal that goes on the fenders was not very easy to put on. I think there is a slight gap on the right side fender but its very hard to see. I did use the Indycals decals for the number plate 24 Le Mans/Total and the WEC decal. They are a bit oversized but overall look good. Their decal sheet does include number plates with the Le Mans/Total integrated, but I felt the quality of the Tamiya decal was better so used the fill in.

And its complete! The rear wing was a lot harder than I was expecting to complete. Its become apparent during this build that I used too much paint basically everywhere, which is why stuff doesn't fit like it should. This extended to the rear wing endplates, which never really fit properly. I took this apart about 4 times and ended up somewhere where I wanted to. What is nice is that even with the screwups, the rear wing endplates hold it in really well, so I didn't even technically need glue for this. I used white glue for the fin part and super glue to keep the endplates in.

You can see some of the other areas I struggled in on this side too. The number plate is askew a little, and somehow I glued the mirror support/P1 part about a quarter inch off of where it should be. This made some of the issues there look worse than they probably should have. I'm happy with my replacement mirror support though. I still need to get better about making the small changes necessary to straighten out decals as I can see some of them are just slightly askew, and with the magnification these photos give they look a lot worse than they do in real life.

As I said the decals laid down pretty well. I still had a few areas where I got wrinkles, and the area around the huge gap looks a little terrible, but I figure its better than having the gap all the way across. While the Toyota decal on the chrome came out just fine, the finger print underneath it is now there for the ages. While polishing the black decal came off on the air inlet, and I'm just going to let it be.

You can see here where I struggled with sanding the tires. I think I actually made it worse as the original line is very slight on the tire, and nothing I was doing was making it any better, so I just moved on. I'll play with some NASCAR tires before my next build to get better at this process. Lots of gaps as can be seen, but even with missing a few decals it looks good.

Rear end view shows some more struggles but overall the shape is good. I'm particularly happy with the chrome on the rear wing that can be seen. Its a miracle that I got the red decal to go over the ridge and cover the white on the fin.

And the rear view. I know the lighting is terrible!

I'm going to take better pictures with a DSLR before I post in the completed car forum.

I obviously learned a lot on this build! Here's a quick list:

1. Don't follow the instructions to a T! Putting together several of the body parts before painting would have helped tremendously on the gaps you see in the final build, helped with completing the build quicker, resolved several problems I had with paint lines not matching, and also helped with some of the fragility of the final build.

2. Paint interior colors first...and also make sure they need to be painted. There is no reason I needed to paint the interior of the number plates, the airbox or much of the rest of the interior because its never going to be seen. All that really needs to be painted is the interior of the car (and even that is only the front half), the wheel wells and part of the engine cover.

3. Don't use 3M blue tape on completed parts. Or stick it to your body first to take away some of the tackiness. It took apart 3 decals and then I still wasn't 100% happy with the coverage on the interior.

4. Use less paint. I'm terrible with painting white and this led to my problems outlined above. I have some vacations coming up in the next month so since I won't have much time to actually progress on another build, I'm going to play around with painting on a plastic spoon and learning from that.

And here's what I'd recommend for anyone building the car in the future.

1. Put it together first! Almost the entire body can be glued together before you need to paint anything. The instructions have you wait a long time for many of the parts, but even if you don't have the gap issues I had, you'll have lines in places that are completely unnecessary, it also makes painting that much harder. I'd also include putting the front suspension on as part of this process, and using a chrome pen for the exposed suspension parts. You won't be able to see them on the final build anyway.

2. Don't spend much time on the interior. You won't see much of anything anyway unless you open the doors. I probably spent half an hour detailing the wheel and you won't ever see any of it!

3. Paint the red parts of the car. You already have to do so much masking with the black, that doing the red isn't a huge addition. It won't save a ton of time as the included decals are quite good, but it'll look better. Aftermarket decals are coming out which include the HY and P1 decals separate too.

Thats about it. Hoping you liked the process and I'm sure we'll see some amazing builds of this kit soon! I'm planning to get another version and replicate the 2019 design.

kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

1slowhand wrote:Just a quick "Thank you" for one of the most useful wip threads I've yet to see. Your detail description of the build process, including problem areas and "errors" ( which take real character to post) will be invaluable to anyone building this kit. Thanks again and keep up the great work!!
+2

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

Thanks for the WIP and all the building tips! I received my kit this week and for sure will follow your advice when I start to build it. Thanks again!!