For all F1 scale model news...

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Re: PLASTIC Upcoming F1 Releases 2016

Post by Orso »

I wonder how much work I need to build a curb side of this: Ronnie Peterson and Reine Wisell in their F3 Brabhams

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

The BT18 is nice looking kit. We've seen test-shots at the hobby shows here in Japan, for nearly a year now. Very handsome, to my eyes, when done.

Wish it were a Brabham F1 car of the same era, like Jack's "Old Nail" BT19, but I think CEO Kiya, ever the patriot, is commercializing this because of the Japanese Honda engine. Still, I'll buy one -- despite the fact it's an F2 car, and the whopping 7,344 yen suggested retail price..!

I big question for everyone is going to be what colour to paint it. The Brabham green is darker than that used on the Lotus 25 and 49. And Mr Kiya told me himself (at last year's Hobby Forum) that there's no commercially available colour yet. I think people are going to have to mix their own paint, unless Zero, Finisher's or someone comes out with the colour. Rattle can guys like me are going to be scratching their heads...

Cheers, Chris

Nigel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Nigel »

I am psyched about the Brabham Honda. Brabham BRG was darker and bluer than Lotus but greener than Cooper and not metallic like BRM. There are some Dark Green paints in Tamiya and other ranges. I expect that Ebbro has looked at the BT18 in the Honda collection and will have some comments in their instructions.

The old Heller 'F3' Brabham is the BT15. Phillipe D'Esplinay at Heller own one and this was the basis of his patterns. Phillip did all of the Heller 1/24 race cars and a 1/20 1965 Renault 16 which I am building to go next to the RE30B. Two that were made around 1970 but never made production were the Matra MS80 and the Matra MS650.

The Brabham 14, 15, 16 were the same car for F Libre, F3 and F2. The 16 differed from the 15 in that it had Lockheed Brakes instead of Girling and 30 Gallon fuel tanks along the sides with a wishbone filler spout in front of the driver. The F3 had 15 gallon 'wedge' tank under the seat. The engine on the BT15 would be the Cosworth MAE. On the BT 16, the factory used the Honda, there were cars with Cosworth SCA engines and a few with BRM 4 cylinder engines (Do not have the BRM 'P-Number' for the motor).

The Ebbro kit is a BT18, which is the same designed with taller uprights and 2.5 inches longer engine bay. The photos show that Ebbro correctly did the fuel tanks which were the same as on the BT16. Factory ran the Hondas as kitted. Privateers ran (e.g. Roy Winkelmann Racing for Rindt) with the Cosworth SCA in 1966. Here is an opportunity for an after market SCA ( 1 liter Ford Kent Block, OHC engine as used in Heller Matra.) and decals. SCA engines were seen in F2 with Weber side draft (Matra), and Weber down draft carburation (Brabham, Lotus).

Some cars were fitted with the FVA in 1967 and beyond. The BT 23 followed with more stiffening members and ran with the FVA engine.

Here is a great and official Brabham site: http://rontauranac.com.au/brabhammrd-cars/

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Not F1, but I had *totally* missed this: Aoshima will be releasing a Huayra in October.

http://hlj.com/product/aos01090

Also, the pre-order for Platz' M6 GT3 is up: http://hlj.com/product/plzpn24001

aaaaand... *really* not F1, but also cool: FM are doing the airship from Laputa: http://hlj.com/product/fnmfg-08 :O
Je ne regrette rien.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

The Laputa thing sounds particularly weird/funny in spanish.... :shock: :lol:

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

JamesB wrote:The Laputa thing sounds particularly weird/funny in spanish.... :shock: :lol:
Yes, and inside the island the characters use a Mitsubishi Pajero :lol:

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

For non Spanish,

Laputa means The Bitch and Mitsubishi Pajero would be Mitsubishi Masturbator :lol: :lol: :lol:

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yep, probably with a Wankel engine!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BTW, in Spain, they had to call it "Montero".... :mrgreen: The Mitsu, I mean.
I also recall the Toyota MR2 was shortened to "MR" n France... it sounded bad in french, ahem!
Sorry for the OT about an OT post! 8)

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

JamesB wrote:The Laputa thing sounds particularly weird/funny in spanish.... :shock: :lol:
Yeah. They pronounce it LAH-poo-TAH in the English dub, and they actually changed the title to simply 'Castle in the Sky', but I always seem to mentally convert it to LAA POO-tah, per the Spanish. ;)

It's lifted from Gulliver's travels, though, where it's used as an allegory for the Irish rebellion. And was probably an intentional joke by Swift.

Oh, and speaking of Wankels... apparently Mazda also used to sell a Mazda Laputa kei car. So there's that. :) (that would make for an interesting collection of models: cars with unintentionally hilarious names in foreign languages)
Je ne regrette rien.

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Oh my that Platz BMW M6 GT3 looks tasty.