Post away...

Seiiki
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fangio
Canada

Re: Nascar at Monza - Yeah, I'd watch that

Post by Seiiki »

biercemountain wrote:Watching those big Nascar chassis wallow and wander around Watkins Glen last weekend got me thinking about other road courses that would be entertaining to see them race on. The trips they made to Suzuka weren't really my cup of tea but Monza would be the bomb, especially if they didn't use the chicane on the front straight. If they did have to use that chicane, I'd imagine the race would be red flagged on the first lap.

Mexico City wouldn't be bad either. Lots of room for them to stretch their legs.
Except at Monza, they run 'clockwise' so they need to change the balance. Also that oval banking is pretty brutal now where no one would dare to drive on it. In the old days of F1, an oval lap in would be out with the circuit lap next which was pretty confusing.
Canice

albrecae
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Adrian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Great Britain

Post by albrecae »

The original Silverstone would have made a good road course for Nascar, am not a big fan of Nascar but I saw my first Nascar race live a few weeks ago at Daytona and was impressed.
Talking of Watkins Glen I watched the 1979 US GP East on youtube a few nights ago, the use of rescue vehicles on the track was just crazy,

Topic author
biercemountain
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
United States of America

Post by biercemountain »

tubegenius wrote:I was under the impression that COTA was hurting for money. Seems like a NASCAR race would be a no-brainer.
As I mentioned before, I'm sure Bernie made COTA agree not to stage certain series while the F1 contract was in place. While Indycar isn't a serious threat to F1 like it was in the heyday of CART, I'd be willing to bet that they are excluded. Who knows about NASCAR.

Regarding Monza, I was never advocating using the banking as we all know it's just not a suitable racing surface.

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

As far as COTA is concerned, NASCAR hasn't even considered it because there are already 2 races at Texas Motor Speedway (yawn) and unfortunately those races are there to stay until 2020. That's a shame, I'd love to see all the body roll through the esses.

For IndyCar, they are not interested for 2 reasons: 1 Eddie Gossage at Texas Motor Speedway has shot down any notion of racing at COTA, and IndyCar wasn't that interested in hosting a race so near TMS in the first place. Moreover, IndyCar management is very self-conscious as to the (apparent) speed difference on road courses than F1. The last time IndyCar raced on a circuit that Formula 1 had also raced on was Watkins Glen 1980. Also, a few tests have been held at COTA, mostly before the aero-kits and on ever occasion IndyCar has refused to release times. I think it's a real shame, even if the IndyCars aren't nearly as quick I think the racing is better, the drivers are more fun, and generally more fan-friendly.

Topic author
biercemountain
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
United States of America

Post by biercemountain »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:As far as COTA is concerned, NASCAR hasn't even considered it because there are already 2 races at Texas Motor Speedway (yawn) and unfortunately those races are there to stay until 2020. That's a shame, I'd love to see all the body roll through the esses.

For IndyCar, they are not interested for 2 reasons: 1 Eddie Gossage at Texas Motor Speedway has shot down any notion of racing at COTA, and IndyCar wasn't that interested in hosting a race so near TMS in the first place. Moreover, IndyCar management is very self-conscious as to the (apparent) speed difference on road courses than F1. The last time IndyCar raced on a circuit that Formula 1 had also raced on was Watkins Glen 1980. Also, a few tests have been held at COTA, mostly before the aero-kits and on ever occasion IndyCar has refused to release times. I think it's a real shame, even if the IndyCars aren't nearly as quick I think the racing is better, the drivers are more fun, and generally more fan-friendly.
Didn't CART race on the F1 course in Montreal? I hear what you're saying about the speed differences. I guess Indycar could race on the abbreviated COTA course that the V8 Supercars (or DTM, I can't remember which) used, but what would be the fun in that?

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

biercemountain wrote:
whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:As far as COTA is concerned, NASCAR hasn't even considered it because there are already 2 races at Texas Motor Speedway (yawn) and unfortunately those races are there to stay until 2020. That's a shame, I'd love to see all the body roll through the esses.

Didn't CART race on the F1 course in Montreal? I hear what you're saying about the speed differences. I guess Indycar could race on the abbreviated COTA course that the V8 Supercars (or DTM, I can't remember which) used, but what would be the fun in that?
They did. And they were pretty competitive!

Seiiki
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fangio
Canada

Post by Seiiki »

stubeck wrote:
biercemountain wrote:

They did. And they were pretty competitive!
Sure, if you called 5 to 7 seconds slower per lap "competitive" ......
Canice