Hasegawa 1/24 Jaguar XJR-9 LM

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Re: Hasegawa 1/24 Jaguar XJR-9 LM

Post by smbrm1 »

vanhookvintage wrote:I'm afraid that painting the trim/gaskets around the "glass" will be my un-doing. There is such a slight amount of relief molded in between the glass and the gaskets that even with the sharpest XActo blade, I don't see how creating masking for this will be successful, whether using BMF or masking tape, or whatever. So, please, any advice will be most appreciated.
glass.jpg
Thanks for looking. I hope I can do this car justice.

Cheers,
Greg
With care and a steady hand, I would suggest free hand painting with acrylic from the inside, as this will hide any brush marks, and is more easily corrected if you go over the line, by just cleaning off and starting again. That is how I approached it.

Cheers

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

Greg:

Go get yourself a Sharpie. The kind with the flat "Wedge" tip. Take the sharpie, and draw your glass gasket lines on the "inside" with the sharpie. If you mess up, 91% alcohol will remove it.

Good luck. :wink:
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

Topic author
vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

Good tips, guys! Neither one of which I had considered. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

adamg1987
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by adamg1987 »

Cover your glass with masking tape then using two lollipop sticks and a fresh acto blade stick them all together. Hard to explain without drawing a diagram but one stick runs round the edge of the glass the second stick gives you the depth of the mask itself. Use your new tool to cut away a mask around the edge and peel the outwe edge of tape. Then paint and remove the inter tape

Topic author
vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

adamg1987, I get what you're saying. So far, I've had good progress with the Sharpie method. We'll see if I have to be more creative. Thanks for the tip! :D :D :D

The pix below show the progress to-date. Removing the front radiator outlet lip and gluing in and filling the seams around the fuel fillers have been the biggest challenges, hence the gray primer.

Close to spraying white then violet on the body. On a learning curve with the Vallejo paint (see separate thread) but it's all good. Just a little slow, as usual. :shock: :shock: :shock:
jag top quarter.jpg
jag top front eighth.jpg
jag straight down.jpg
jag front quarter.jpg
Thanks for looking,
Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

gavrob
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gavin Roberts
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Great Britain

Post by gavrob »

Nice work on one of my favourite Group C cars. I still remember 1988, sitting on the ledge of old Le Mans pits above the winning car when it came in for it's final pit stop. Great memories.
Looking forward to seeing this finished.