lham44
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull
United States of America

Re: 1/12 new Sportscar by MFH

Post by lham44 »

Any way to post the pics directly on here without having to register for the other site?

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

lham44 wrote:Any way to post the pics directly on here without having to register for the other site?

If you are going to build this car you need to register for that site anyway as they have 100's of photos under the the #0846 thread , and it's free.

Here is the #0846 restoration and argument thread with most pictures after page 264 all mixed in with the history:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintag ... d-265.html

jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by jmpsebring »

I'm still not getting why people are surprised? MFH are using this same method in all of their kits. They drill nothing! Even if you do not own 1 of their kits, the WIP's here show how 'we' do it if we choose to go that route. Most buy their rivets from ScaleHardware or Calibre and insert them in a hole you drilled. What makes this feasible is the perfectly spaced dimples that allow you to hand drill the holes. The bigger pain is clipping the stems off the rivets. It's a painstaking, tedious job. But overall, the quality and state of finish is so high on their kits, the time you save allows this extra detail to be done. In my eyes this will be harder than normal because the underside of the bodywork will be exposed on certain areas like the underside of the rear tail. I like the concept of the Mini delta solution. But the single person I know (Dale King) painted the body and polished it before installing the rivets because he didn't want to polish the rivets and the reflection of the finish would likely to be different between the rivets if he polished around the rivets. He painted the rivets before he installed them. Either way...We are talking advanced techniques by advanced modelers! This is just rivets...we all see that some do their own p/e, turned parts, 3d print ...all stuff I will never achieve. So my models won't stand up to theirs. I can live with that. This is a MFH 1/12th, full detailed, P4, and if you're a good modeler you can have great model. But the ones that go over the top with some unique talent will achieve awesome results.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

I think the nose on #0846 in the Hiro kit is pretty close to what it should be, but slightly to perfect . I did a side by side and added some old pictures of the car during its career to show the accuracy of both the Hiro and Mini Delta kits. The car was really changed in front after it's accident in 1966.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/collec ... t143966608

Just add the Mini Delta rivets if you wish and super detail the chassis. The Hiro kit can be made into a museum piece depending on the builder with little modification.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

jmpsebring wrote:I'm still not getting why people are surprised?
Not surprised, just disappointed. The raised rivets are a pretty prominent feature of the real car, so it's a bummer that they're not included. Yes, you can source parts elsewhere, but you're looking at a pricey investment - probably at least $100. Adding an extra ounce or two of cast items would be a minimal expense for MFH, and make a far more complete product.

I guess my complaint is, a $600 or $700 kit shouldn't *need* aftermarket extras, but increasingly, that's just the status quo for MFH. And IMO, a P3/P4 *needs* raised rivets.

I also think there's been a lot of confusion over 'drilled'. I don't think anyone expected them to actually (hand) drill all the way through the resin, I think they were just referring to recessed dimples (which the kit has), as opposed to raised, domed rivets.
Je ne regrette rien.

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

MoFo wrote:The raised rivets are a pretty prominent feature of the real car, so it's a bummer that they're not included. Yes, you can source parts elsewhere, but you're looking at a pricey investment - probably at least $100.
i agree, except i think it will be even more expensive unless minidelta decides to have a sale on their rivets.
Some pages ago i said:
bestbalsakits wrote:Mini Delta site says 850 rivets needed, not 85 as stated few posts ago.
Even should you buy MFH white metal rivets, which are way cheaper - but also less quality & detail than any stainless/aluminum versions from top studio/hobby design/T2M - it will cost approx Euro 150.

I think rivets are a must. That's what makes the car, especially as a model.
wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

HLJ sells Hiro's cast rivets for $10/pack. The large diameter rivets come 60 per pack, the small diameter rivets are 75/pack. So you're looking at between $120 and $150 US for the cast rivets (which, IMO, would be easier to install - easier to trim off the tails, anyway).

Personally, I'd be looking at the MasterClub resin rivets. They're about $6/100, and since they're getting painted anyway, it doesn't matter that they're not metal.
Je ne regrette rien.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Mini Delta rivets are 28€ shipping included for the 1.500 rivets. They look better than anything else I have seen when on the model painted and do not require drilling.

Contact Mini Delta. www.minidelta.be

edgarmiro
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by edgarmiro »

Is MFH working on the closed version of the 330 P4?

Will it be realesed? I think that a lot of us wait for it...