Daytona

Play nice fellows...

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: Daytona

Post by Icon_Modeler »

indycals wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:36 pm "Has anyone besides Mario Andretti been F1 champion, Indy 500 and Daytona 500 winner?"
No. Andretti and Foyt are the only two to win Indy and Daytona.

Foyt: Indy, Le Mans, Daytona
Hill: Indy, Le Mans, F1 Champion, Monaco
Montoya: Indy, Monaco
Villeneuve: Indy, F1 Champion

Fittipaldi: 2x Indy, 2x F1 champion

Alonso: 2x Le Mans, 2x Monaco, 2x F1 champion. (back to back in all three)

Although unlikely, Alonso could match Hill - and do them all back-to-back.
I know that you were probably reciting that from memory but you forgot Clark, Indy, F1 Champion. I would have bet that he had also won Monaco but he never did.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

donnieleblanc
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by donnieleblanc »

Not a bad result for JV. Had to change engines before the race and was with a brand new underfunded team. Had very little practice time because of funding and equipment issues. Really couldn’t keep pace but stayed out of trouble and finished well ahead of much of the NASCAR elite. It would be nice to see what he could do with better equipment.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I honestly do not get stock car racing. They could save SO much time by just taking the top 10 qualifiers and letting them do a one lap demolition derby........rrrrrrrrrr......."race". Anymore, the end of the race looks like the closing scene from the original Rollerball. To me, that is not racing.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

It's definitely not what it used to be. As far as I'm concerned the most prestigious race at Daytona was 3 weeks ago.

donnieleblanc
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by donnieleblanc »

It’s not what it used to be. At Daytona, restricter plates bunched the field and made it more about aero and drafting. It made sense as the cars were able to approach speeds of 228-230 MPH (without restricter plates) which is not safe with that many cars on a track. However, the result has been what you saw yesterday. It’s about 185 laps of blah and 15 laps of cars trying to position themselves for the end. At that point, the mindset becomes win or wreck trying. NASCAR playoff rules (where about 40% of full time field gets in because they either win a race or have enough points) don’t really deter this win or wreck mentality either.

I will give NASCAR this - they understand how to keep their audience interested. The playoff format, in race stages, overtime race rules, etc, provides their fans a reason to watch. It may be artificial and not be to every race fan’s liking, but they figured out how to keep their fans more engaged throughout a race and the season. But, as pointed out, it’s not the same as it used to be and some will turned off by that.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

"The playoff format, in race stages, overtime race rules, etc, provides their fans a reason to watch. " Those are the very reasons I can't bear to watch anymore. NASCAR desperately tried to cater to new fans - and they were spectacularly successful for awhile - but they did so at the expense of long time fans. Many of those new fans have since lost interest and moved on to other things and the long time fans aren't coming back.

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

indycals wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:42 pm "The playoff format, in race stages, overtime race rules, etc, provides their fans a reason to watch. " Those are the very reasons I can't bear to watch anymore. NASCAR desperately tried to cater to new fans - and they were spectacularly successful for awhile - but they did so at the expense of long time fans. Many of those new fans have since lost interest and moved on to other things and the long time fans aren't coming back.

Before the chase and stage racing I watched a lot of NASCAR. Before the indy car split I never missed an indy car race. Indycar has made huge inroads to fixing the damage from the split, but I have never really made it back as a fan. No good reason, I guess some of it is their schedule is too spastic for me. F-1 is on generally the same time of day and on the same channel, I don't have to chase it. Indycar is probably better racing than F-1 by most standards but it is just easier for me to watch F-1.

NASCAR I just can't do the stage racing and the chase. It just rewards crash or bust mentality. Also rewards mediocrity as you have a chance at the playoffs if you win a race regardless of whether a mid pack team or whatever.

The one race I do not miss in the U.S. is the indy 500. Most of my life I have watched that race and over the last 30 years I don't think I have ever missed it. This may be my first year though not watching the race. I cut my cable plan so I have to find out if I can just stream the 500. I grew up not that far from Indy and it was kind of a family tradition as long as I can remember.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

So, Jacques venture at Daytona got me thinking... how many driver have competed in the Indy 500, Daytona 500, Monaco Grand Prix, and 24 hours of Le Mans?

Here is what I came up with:
Mario Andretti
Mark Donohue
Christian Fittipaldi
Dan Gurney
Juan Montoya
Jacques Villeneuve

Of that group, all but Fittipaldi have won at least one of them, only Mario and Montoya have won two of the four (Mario - Indy/Daytona, Montoya Indy/Monaco). Both Montoya and Villeneuve still could win one of the two triple crowns - Montoya could do Indy/Le Mans/Monaco, Villeneuve could do Indy/Le Mans/World Champion (this is what Graham Hill considered the true triple crown. In reality any driver that wins one of them will still fall short of Hills Quadruple Crown of Indy/Le Mans/Monaco/F1 Champion). It'd be cool to see Montoya and Villeneuve win Le Mans as team mates, but we all know that's just a wild pipe-dream. I also thought David Hobbs might be on this list, but he never competed at Monaco.