Topic author
ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Great Britain

BME E9 CSL Group 5 Batmobile 1/12

Post by ClassicF1 »

I've wanted to build this car for years, it was my dream car back in the day (or maybe a Cologne Capri V6).
It's the old Bandai/Doyusha kit of the IMSA US spec racer and as they are so expensive when available on eBay I bought a built model which was complete but a bit of a glue bomb, not a problem as I intended to strip it and convert it.
I managed to separate a lot of the parts as they were not put together very well (although there was copious adhesive it seemed to be superglue) so once everything was apart it was given a good dunking in oven cleaner to get rid of the paint and chrome.
The main visual differences between the IMSA and GROUP 5 cars are the front air dam, rear wing and the vents over the rear wheels, they only built 4 Group 5 cars and these were converted from the IMSA spec cars and some of these were then converted back to the IMSA spec by US owners in later years so restoration pictures can be a bit misleading.
So this is what I want when I'm finished, this is at Silverstone for the inaugural 6 Hours race in May 1976 - I know 'cos I was there!
5423444696_671f138fa6_o.jpg
So here are some pictures of the model -

Front air dam from plasticard with the kit brake vents grafted in.
IMG_6051.jpg
IMG_6053.jpg
The louvred vents over the rear wheels caused me some head scratching but some Plastruct laddering proved to be about the right size so some was procured and grafted into a hole cut in the arch extension.
IMG_6052.jpg
The rear wing supports will be made of laminations of plastic card and I'll blend those into the boot lid.
The way the kit is put together means the chassis can be built as a completely separate module so this has been started with the rebuild of the rear suspension.
IMG_6310.jpg
Must sand those tyres!
Drive shafts have been detailed and oil lines added along with replacement hardware for most of the mounting points.
IMG_6213.jpg
The front suspension has been detailed, the front roll bar replaced and the steering rack made a little more realistic.
IMG_6262.jpg
The ride height has been reduced considerably so she should look low and mean once everything comes together.

Dave

waxdart
Backmarker
Backmarker
Location: Georgetown, TX. Earth. Down the road a piece from COTA

Re: BME E9 CSL Group 5 Batmobile 1/12

Post by waxdart »

Love it!

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

Dream car / kit. I had the same kit with extra Gösser decsls and had to sell it with a heavy heart. Your tag looks very good. Will follow your construction.
Seema

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

I'll be following this, looks like you're going to do a great job! I have this kit and have started building it and put it away because it wasn't going as well as I wanted. I suspect you're build will provide some inspiration!

Inuyasha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Germany

Post by Inuyasha »

Good work on this iconic car! Personally i like the Millimeter and Calder versions.
Keep it comin, the detail work looks great! :)

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Inuyasha wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:14 am Good work on this iconic car! Personally i like the Millimeter and Calder versions.
Keep it comin, the detail work looks great! :)
The Millimeter would be a Hammer! Great pointing! :)
Anyway, very nice detail work!
Take a stand!

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

The E9 is up there in the still somewhat affordable icon range (of real cars) that I keep browsing for every now and then in the auto sales sections. Not the CSL, obviously, because they have crossed into the silly money area, but a CSi or one of the smaller engined ones (2500/2800) are still affordable, if a bit over value in my book.
I had planned to do a model like this, but I wanted to do the Calder artcar. The MM would probably give way to much headache vibes when trying to align the decals all over ;)

You are doing a great job, I'll be following this :)
Cheers,
Roman

Topic author
ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Great Britain

Post by ClassicF1 »

I'm assuming that the Millimetre car is the Frank Stella art car? Mmmm, okay but it's not floating my boat, that one's also got the twin turbo motor in it which would mean even more scratch work in the engine department!
My aim is to have a collection of models that are cars I have seen race "live" or of cars driven by drivers I have seen race in the flesh. My window of interest is 1976 -1983 after which the family took precedence and then interest in motorsport waned for 40 years!
I saw the Stella car race at Silverstone in it's earlier scheme driven by Ronnie and Gunnar, it retired with a blown differential I think? It was repainted in the Stella colours for Le Mans a few weeks later.
For a nostalgic look at BMW motorsport in 1976 and lots of Batmobiles see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz3OyyiQV8U&t=139s

Dave

Topic author
ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Great Britain

Post by ClassicF1 »

One other major area of difference between the IMSA and Group 5 cars is the engine orientation, the IMSA cars were inclined and the Group 5 cars were upright, the M49/2 engine?
So this is the engine as supplied in the kit and built by the original owner.
IMG_6066.jpg
The mount legs needed replacing and the mount plates on the chassis rails needed fabricating
IMG_6139 - Copy.jpg
All of the ignition wires were replaced and the Kugelfischer mechanical injection unit made with new fuel lines to new inlet trumpets, new front pulleys and drive belts made from the scrap box. The new water manifold and pipes into the head were again made from scrap and piping from the spares boxes.
IMG_6204.jpg
I positioned the engine in the bay to see if things will fit, but I can see the airbox position being a problem.
IMG_6137.jpg
I'll be brave and add a picture of the real thing plus a close up of the engine to compare - be kind!
5191855c8295d803-chassis-2275988-engine-m49-3-34-1974-bmw-3-5-csl-chassis-information.jpg
IMG_6205.jpg

Dave
Last edited by ClassicF1 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Looking awesome! Did not knew about the differences in between the engines, not realy on top with research in this car, but very interesting to know!

@Roman: No headaches above the millimeter, the real one is also not very accurate and when you`ve done the Lichtenstein 320 version once you don`t fear it anymore :D
Take a stand!