Topic author
dlphnfn
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Walter Wolf Racing
United States of America

Shelf of Doom - 1978 Wolf WR1

Post by dlphnfn »

I started on this kit about a month ago. I figure it's probably my oldest F1 kit from my shelf other than the MP4/8 which I don't have a lot of interest in at this point. After doing some research, it seems this is not a kit that many go out of their way to detail. I found one 1/20th build from @Jamme that he posted here (missing pics now) and on ModelerSite. These links are for anyone in the future that wants to see them (they're fantastic!)... one- two - three - four

I'm replicating some of his steps as well as some details I've seen in some of the 1/12th builds I've looked at. :)
Here are the kit contents. (I've since added another reissued kit to the pile because I wanted the PE and tires.)

I've basically started prepping parts. I've added the holes for rivets and air fillers on the wheels.

I also decided to detach the rear sections from the monocoque cover. They'll likely be displayed off.

While I put the headers together, I thought it would work better to use aluminum tubing. I added a 1/2" piece of plastic that fit perfectly inside the aluminum tubing directly to the collector. Then the aluminum slid right over the top. Now I just need to blend those in.

I also started modifying the dash. I've smoothed everything out on the sides, then opened some holes like the original. I drilled holes for upcoming switches, etc, as well. I also added some thin plastic card to the attachment point to better match the real car.

The rear wing was something I wanted to address. You can see in the pics how the original "stay" is assembled compared to my modified version. The center section would have taken too much work to shape to correct specs, so I used parts from both of my kits to make one good part. The wing itself has been smoothed, sides have been drilled for rivets as well. I will also be putting rivets on the top and bottom surfaces of the front and back wings to better match the real car.

More to come. :)
Erick --
Last edited by dlphnfn on Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Shelf of Doom - 1978 Wolf WR1

Post by jordan »

Hé he ! I like this already ! Following all the way :P

Alex.

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Looking forward to you building this one, Erick.

Jordan

ModelTime
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ModelTime »

Nice start on another car from my era! I swear by those Archer rivets, so much less pain than drilling holes and putting actual rivets that will just get covered in paint anyway. Work smarter not harder, it's more fun that way....
"To finish first you must first finish" -Rick Mears

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

I like your thinking, Erick. You're off to a nice start. Your modifications will look much better that the original parts.

And yes, I see gold plated parts in the box. This must be your oldest kit from the shelf! I don't think that Tamiya have gold plated that tree for 20 years.

Cheers, Chris

imatt88
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Ian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell, Senna, Sir Jackie Stewert, among others.
I followed Lotus, Williams (because I was stationed near their HQ back in the '80s), Mclaren, and a bunch more
United States of America

Post by imatt88 »

Cool! Love this car :D