Tamiya Leyton House

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Tamiya Leyton House

Post by Eagle50 »

Coming along nicely! Good work on the puttying. The masking job looks perfect. And I'm glad you've got a rare can of the Leyton House blue to use! That's harder to find than a kit!

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Eagle50 wrote:Coming along nicely! Good work on the puttying. The masking job looks perfect. And I'm glad you've got a rare can of the Leyton House blue to use! That's harder to find than a kit!

Cheers, Chris
Really? I hadn't looked for any but i'm glad you said that! I still have the nose and end plates to paint. Guess I won't be so liberal anymore.
I have noticed a shortage of other cans of TS, is Tamiya going on another 6-9 month "repackaging" thing again?

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Tamiya Leyton House update 3

Post by bossy122 »

Got the back of the tub all carboned up. That all went on rather easily. I also did the rear brakes...not quite as easy. Trying to hold that little piece and put things in place then blast them with the hair dryer.....fun stuff!. These have been clear coated in Testors clear ( in reference to a different post). Also did the funnel thingy. Coming along...

You can't quite see the inside carbon...

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I love the contrast between the blue and C/F. Looks excellent.

keithwwalker
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by keithwwalker »

Eagle50 wrote:Coming along nicely! Good work on the puttying. The masking job looks perfect. And I'm glad you've got a rare can of the Leyton House blue to use! That's harder to find than a kit!

Cheers, Chris
Is the correct paint TS41?

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Now you've got me worried that I misinformed. And after clicking around, I found out that I did. To wit:

- Tamiya still makes TS41 "Coral Blue", which I think was originally formulated for the Leyton House you're building. The kit is now their rarest 1/20 F1 model, because it's been out of production for so long, but they still make the paint. Go figure.

- Tamiya used to make a "Bright Green" (whatever TS number it used to be) for their 1/20 Jordan 191. And that's the can spray paint I was thinking of -- the one that's been out of production almost as long as the Leyton House kit. Sorry, I was confusing one long gone thing with another...

- Tamiya does make a PS25 "Bright Green" for polycarbonate (RC car bodies) now, but I don't know how you'd get that to stick to a plastic Jordan 191.

Funny that you can still find Jordan 191 kits at trade shows or online, but you can't find "Bright Green" for it unless you go with Mr Color #66 "Bright Green" (not sure if it's the same colour, but it comes in a spray can and a 10mL bottle). On the other hand, it's nigh impossible to find Leyton House kits, but the original TS41 "Coral Blue" is still available.

Sorry for the confusion..!
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Eagle50 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by hquednau »

Tamiya used to make a Jordan green?? Wish I had that now- the Jordan kits are easy to find, but the right green is a challenge. I think the Tamiya PS paints will stick to a non-polycarb surface, but the finish is not nearly as smooth?

H

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Tamiya Leyton House update 4

Post by bossy122 »

Got the pan all covered in carbon....rather labor intensive, that.

You can't really see it but just at the rear wheel area there's an eyelash that somehow made it under the decal without notice until after i'd bathed it in Micro Sol and blasted it with the dryer. My DNA forever fossilized....so much for this one ever seeing contest entry :wink:

Here you may notice a little patch work. The decal got bent ever so slightly in the mail and come to find out, these things crumble at even the slightest bend. Have to put some decal film over top if I come across that scenario in the future.

Body dry fit into place.

gt1car
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by gt1car »

Good job!!
Is also my project on my desk!!
http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21538

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Tamiya Leyton House update 4

Post by Eagle50 »

bossy122 wrote:... at the rear wheel area there's an eyelash that somehow made it under the decal...
Been there, done that. I've gotten cat hairs under my CF decals before. It's amazing how well they stick out like sore thumbs after the decal dries, isn't it..! :? And carefully cutting a flap in the decal, before it dries to get the hair out, doesn't help much either. The "surgical cut" you make stands our as much as the hair did. Been there, done that too.

Like you, I patch over with another piece of CF decal, sometimes even putting another patch on the opposite side that doesn't have a hair underneath, so the car is still balanced left to right.

Great work, by the way. This Leyton House is coming along nicely.
Cheers, Chris