MP4/2C: THE ALL PURPOSE Italeri 1/12 THREAD!

A forum for builds of the Aoshima/Beemax McLaren MP4/2 kit.

GTF2
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Graham Trotter
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams

Re: MP4/2C: THE ALL PURPOSE Italeri 1/12 THREAD!

Post by GTF2 »

I can only try

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Hi

I have just received the kit. After a long wait and probably given up through the wait until very recently! Will we even see the Ebbro Tyrrell 005 one day as well?

The kit is complete with M@r!b*r* decals and all!

Unfortunately the red in the chevrons, Segafredo and front number is plain red - which is obviously plain wrong.

And don't say 'it looks red on pictures' as it will just tell that you don't know what you are talking about... ;-)

The correct colour is rocket red / fluo red-orange / RAL3024 which is the colour of the 'red' parts on the body. The colour indicated in the instructions is Tamiya TS-49 which naturally is better than say TS-8, but not quite correct. Unfortunately the correct colour is TS-36 which looks good for some time until it doesn't anymore. So DON'T use that. Find something else that works for you.

The Rosberg 'Lights version' is fluo yellow with that slight green tinge as well by the way. The old Studio27 1:20 kit did that right.

Flemming

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Flemming wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:13 pm The correct colour is rocket red / fluo red-orange / RAL3024 which is the colour of the 'red' parts on the body. The colour indicated in the instructions is Tamiya TS-49 which naturally is better than say TS-8, but not quite correct. Unfortunately the correct colour is TS-36 which looks good for some time until it doesn't anymore. So DON'T use that. Find something else that works for you.
The thing that I think we "hardcore" modelers miss is that the model manufacturer isn't aiming at us. They're aiming at whatever constitutes the mass market these days. The kits that are going to the fledgling model builder and being bought by well-meaning parents and grandparents and by people a lot more casual about models than us. The model manufacturer needs to recommend - call out - something easily obtainable and from a brand that the local hobby shop (yes I know that's not really a thing anymore in most places but the marketing hasn't really changed from the manufacturer's perspective) can supply that is a close match. They're not about to suggest something that they know only has one dealer in some countries or has to be ordered online. It's just simply not how they are thinking about it. If possible, for companies like Tamiya, of course they are always going to call out something from their own brand even if they don't happen to offer rocket red.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I think its OK to point out issues, but don't let it stop you from buying the kit. I didn't see any issues from Flemmings post that was overly negative like I've seen in the past, just recommendations for what to ignore.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

That`s what i think also, no flaws that are not to be fixed, even when yoing for superdetail it is a good starting point. Like it but struggle actually with all the outcomes in 1:12 if i do one more as i have the Tamiya version to be finished and thinking if i will do it in 1:12 also. It should be definately worth as a Senna Fan.

One laugh to the headline of this thread James, i have an all purpose cleaner for my car and this is what it reminds me when this thread is showing up :lol:
Take a stand!

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Well guys, it does not make sense to provide instructions for the wrong Tamiya paint.
What is the difference between one spray can and the other? A TS whatever can be gotten just as easily as a TS whatever else.
Its not as if the TS36 is a special paint made with unicorn poop.

Italeri, sadly, messed up in their colors for decals and paint directions. It has nothing to do with who the model is aimed at.
The model is also a re-release, which means Italeri has not (outside of marketing and decals, instructions etc.) been able to target the models at a specific audience.
They are just a funny company, seeing no problem in both designing state of the art 1/12 car kits (like the Alfa / Bugatti line) and at the same time releasing Protar models which are clearly not state of the art.
They do the same in aircraft and other areas, where 50 year old ESCI kits of very questionable quality share the lineup with brand new excellent models.

As an aside the TS-36 works fine for me, even after a decade and the yellow in the Rosberg car was just yellow (not lime). We have had many discussion about that on this forum.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Post by scaleautofactory »

All I can say is thank you Italeri for reissuing this kit. This is the end of the moon prices in various online auction houses.
It is really fun to read the statements of the "rivet counters" what all is "wrong" with a kit that is over 36 years old.
To 99% the upcoming kits of the Lotus 99T and the MP4/4 are criticized in all details.... No wonder that there is no interest in the manufacturers to develop new kits - because every allegedly missing detail is criticized the kit, even before the kit is on the market. This can be seen in the social media, where on 3D render images missing deatis are criticized instead of being happy about the courage and investment of the manufacturer in new forms.
When I read all the "negative comments" about the re-release of the Mclaren MP4/2C, then you can't even show the model out of box here.
Just my two (euro) cents.

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

For those of you unhappy with the kit decals, Indycals does offer decals for the kit.

Paul Erlendson

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

scaleautofactory wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:02 pm All I can say is thank you Italeri for reissuing this kit. This is the end of the moon prices in various online auction houses.
It is really fun to read the statements of the "rivet counters" what all is "wrong" with a kit that is over 36 years old.
To 99% the upcoming kits of the Lotus 99T and the MP4/4 are criticized in all details.... No wonder that there is no interest in the manufacturers to develop new kits - because every allegedly missing detail is criticized the kit, even before the kit is on the market. This can be seen in the social media, where on 3D render images missing deatis are criticized instead of being happy about the courage and investment of the manufacturer in new forms.
When I read all the "negative comments" about the re-release of the Mclaren MP4/2C, then you can't even show the model out of box here.
Just my two (euro) cents.
Couldn't agree more! And most of those doing the criticizing don't even show their own work here, Wonder why that is?? Just say-n!!
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

gp-models wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:46 am That`s what i think also, no flaws that are not to be fixed, even when yoing for superdetail it is a good starting point. Like it but struggle actually with all the outcomes in 1:12 if i do one more as i have the Tamiya version to be finished and thinking if i will do it in 1:12 also. It should be definately worth as a Senna Fan.

One laugh to the headline of this thread James, i have an all purpose cleaner for my car and this is what it reminds me when this thread is showing up :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: the language barrier!!
But on a certain way it´s adequate, because the three aims of this thread were 1st, cellebrate that at last it was available, 2nd to name the ideas of what can be done with this model (and that leads you to reasonably buy three or four) and 3rd "cleaning" the honor of a kit that has been unfairly treated.
If you read the first post,first thing I say is a BIG THANKS to Italeri.
It´s not about trashing the model.
The best way to give credit to it is naming the flaws and thus limiting damage, better to know the two or three things to correct than giving a blurry and undetermined sensation of inaccuracy. I don´t think people will not buy it because wheels are not correct. There´s been aftermarket stuff since long. It´s not about what can be improved or replaced, it´s about the base, 90% of the kit, that is irreplaceable, and cannot be obtained from any other source. Anyway, to be in a "don´t dare criticizing" we already have the Heller forum, where one of the rules is not making any negative comment on the brand´s products! :shock:

I repeat, it´s a good and interesting kit, at a killer (in the good sense) price for nowadays, and one to buy easily three as you can make three very interesting versions with little effort. :D 8)
Go and buy a few!
BR
James