F1 testing Barcelona

Events related to scale modeling, F1, or other racing series

Topic author
Moskie
Backmarker
Backmarker

F1 testing Barcelona

Post by Moskie »

As 'we' still are called Formula 1 modelling I expected a little more excitement with the start of the season. The unofficial start, of course withe the testing in Barcelona going on but still.

Everyone says to draw no conclusions from a first day of testing but still:

Ferrari seems to be ok, with a lot of laps and enough speed to show
Mercedes are playing hide and seek.. or are they
Red Bull seems to be better off withe the Honda engine. Some speed and what looks like reliability..

On the other end of the grid: Williams do have a huge problem..

Anything to add? Other opinions?

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Re: F1 testing Barcelona

Post by SeanMAIN »

When does Indy Car testing start?

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Post by scaleautofactory »

BOOOOORRRRRIIIINNNNGGGG - testing say nothing about the comming race results.
Its Hide Hide Secret Hide PR-Blabla - Hide Secret - BORING.
I did watch the first testing session - the commentar has nothing to do about the testing - they do PR-Blabla.
No details about timing, used tyres and laps.
Noone knows the used fuel, the engine modes and the "team-program" during the laps.
Simple a waste of time to think what could be read out of the test results.

just my two cents.

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

I'm at the track tomorrow its only €20 to get general admission! Looking forward to seeing the cars in the flesh for the first time since 2014.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

I also have to say i'm less and less interested. Sadly.
The cars are just looking worse and worse. They are hideously long and now they have those stupid wide front wings again. Urghh!
It seems i'm getting old. Soon i'll subscribe to MotorSport Magazine and only care about tales from the good old days :-)
As far as the looks/liveries of the new cars go, my favourites are the Sauber/Alfa and the Merc.
The matt Ferrai paint doesn't do it for me. The Haas livery is stupid imho. We've been through several of those blackish paintjobs and they never worked. These cars are advertising boards and the should stand out from the tarmac... Leave black to JPS!

Badi
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Pierre Gasly
Brazil

Post by Badi »

is this still F1?

it has gone for me some years ago...

I thought I would watch F1 for my hole life when I was a kid...wrong and very sad, I make efforts to watch it on TV, but I just can't...it is horrible nowadays.

CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

I've been watching the coverage on F1TV Pro and keeping up to speed with the latest news, etc. There is a wealth of information on the Reddit Formula 1 page including details of each testing session that aren't necessarily broadcast live. I'm excited for this season, though a little concerned about Williams.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

jaykay wrote:I also have to say i'm less and less interested. Sadly.
The cars are just looking worse and worse. They are hideously long and now they have those stupid wide front wings again. Urghh!
It seems i'm getting old. Soon i'll subscribe to MotorSport Magazine and only care about tales from the good old days :-)
As far as the looks/liveries of the new cars go, my favourites are the Sauber/Alfa and the Merc.
The matt Ferrai paint doesn't do it for me. The Haas livery is stupid imho. We've been through several of those blackish paintjobs and they never worked. These cars are advertising boards and the should stand out from the tarmac... Leave black to JPS!
Your not getting old Joachim, only more experienced! :lol:

I´m getting more and more interested in the good old days too, it`s been a totaly different smell of drivers and cars like we follow these days, in comparsion to the old guard these guys looks like puppets!
However, the alternatives like Formula E makes me running to the other end of the world, even a rc model contest would cause more interest to me.
Take a stand!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I'm excited for the new season as with the compressed testing we have no adays the times are a lot more relevant than they were 10-15 years ago with the unlimited testing we had. It doesn't make as much sense to set artificially fast times as it did in the past when we had 2 months of testing before the next race.

I think what you'll find a lot here too is people who've fallen out of love of F1. This happens for a lot of reasons, but the biggest reason I've found is its hard to get a favorite driver, and if you don't have one then watching cars go in essentially circles isn't super fun. I tried to watch NASCAR this weekend and couldn't because it just wasn't interesting without knowing who anyone was.

F1RacerFan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by F1RacerFan »

I, too, have lost a bit of interest over the past 5 or 6 years. I loved the 8 and 10 and 12 cylinder cars and the shriek they made. I'll never forget walking across the bridge in Montreal in 1994 and hearing that sound for the first time. There really is no description. I never heard anything that loud. We made a point of going again in 2013 to hear the shriek for the last time. It's not just that though. It just looks like a video game now. I still have favorite drivers and teams but I agree- the cars just don't have same appeal as those from the 90s. That's just my opinion though. I will say that I'm a little tired of Lewis and Toto and the Mercs just dominating. I know these new guys are trying to make it a better show- and there seems to be more accessibility now- but watching the lead cars 40, 50 seconds ahead of the pack by mid race takes a bit out of it. I guess I'm old and I'll have to decide for myself whether I'll keep watching.