1994 Indy 500

Whatever its called these days... US open wheel racing.

Topic author
Skeet6
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: Mike B
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All time fave - Senna, current fave Max.
United States of America

1994 Indy 500

Post by Skeet6 »

I had forgotten what mayhem this was. I guess 1994 was a while ago!!

https://youtu.be/4rmc8cUohTE

Mike B

PS: does anyone else collect and trade old broadcast DVD/tapes like I do?

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Re: 1994 Indy 500

Post by indycals »

I guess I'm not clear on what particular 'mayhem' you are referring to. I've been to 38 500s and this one is in my bottom 2.

I used to collect tapes/dvds, but now most are available on Youtube and I've saved to my computer. There's a lot of cool stuff out there. Have you checked out the full 1973 broadcast? It's fascinating, not so much for the race itself but as a historical document of a year that was historical for very wrong reasons.

Coincidentally, my bottom 2 are the two Al Unser Jr won. Not because of him though... 94 was just an incredibly boring race with nobody that could run with the Penskes, and 92 was such a horribly miserable day resulting in an awful race that even that finish couldn't make up for (for me at least).

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I was at the 1992 Indy 500, we had an RV a few blocks from the track. I remember being wrapped in a sleeping bag that morning enjoying a Mimosa before the race as we watched people walking into the track. The pole sitter, spun on the warm up lap and hit the wall on the back stretch as I recall. I think the high temperature that day was about 40 degrees. I only have had the chance to go three times, it is a race I love to attend even though you cannot see a lot of the race. I actually did not even remember who won the race.

high510
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by high510 »

Al, Jr. won in '82!!! He and Scott Goodyear chased each other for the last several laps and had a photo finish. LOTS of crashes!!! We figured the Pace Car finished something like 20th in the race due to all the crashes. Michael Andretti's Ford Lola broke late, after leading forever (hey, he is an Andretti). The race was pretty rough for the rest of the family.

I was inside turn 1. Stan Fox's crash with Phillipe Gache was scary, but Stan walked away laughing... These racers really think differently that we do. IT WAS COLD!!! :shock: :shock:

Went every year to the race, until the split. Go back from time to time now.

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I get it now, I was blocking it out, I was a MIchael Andretti fan back then. I would not have been rooting for Al Jr. although I had nothing against the guy.

steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

We were there in 92, in the cold. Went with Dad. We left with maybe 15 to go. Never left a race early except this one. We were frozen.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

cbk57 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:21 pm I get it now, I was blocking it out, I was a MIchael Andretti fan back then. I would not have been rooting for Al Jr. although I had nothing against the guy.
That would have been a very bittersweet win if Michael won it - dad and brother in the hospital. Likewise I'm sure Mario would have been crushed to not be there to see Michael win.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Well here we say a bittersweet win is always better than a sweetbitter defeat! :wink: I bet Michael would have loved to offer it to them :D
Nevertheless I am happy the Galmer got that win. This and Danny’s LB one... or was it Detroit ?

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

I was there in ‘92, and it was a miserable day, miserable race. Freezing cold & windy, the race was a crash-fest, starting with the pole sitter (Guerrero) on the pace lap. This year will be my 50th Indy 500, the 1973, and 1992 races were the worst I can remember. My favorites were 1982 & 1985. The 1982 Indy 500 is still the greatest motor race I have ever seen, I remember arriving at IMS in the early morning hours with my father and brother, hot & muggy day, the air absolutely crackled with electricity, you just knew you were going to see something great that day.
1994 was largely forgettable, the Penske-Merc’s pretty much checked out.

high510
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by high510 »

On the '94 race... Emo didn't crash because he lost his mind. The engine and car we not a perfect match, the chassis was a handful. Tracey blew a motor and Junior has a pretty spectacular slide in turn 4 earlier in the race, I saw the end of it from my infield seats just before pit entrance.... Emo would come sliding along the wall near us a bit later.... It is a testament to Emo's and Junior's skill that they drove away like they did. Mansell was acting like he was staying touch, until the loopy Vitolo incident. I rather enjoyed the race because of the over the top Penske's, even though I found Junior a bit insufferable.