Nigel Mansell's Newman Haas Lola - 1/20 Tamiya

Whatever its called these days... US open wheel racing.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Re: Nigel Mansell's Newman Haas Lola - 1/20 Tamiya

Post by vekkuli »

Very good looking :) . I have pair of Dick Simon's Lola here on Stash.

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Nice job. I'm no expert, but I don't notice what the "big mistake" is. Did you paint the rear wing elements white, or did Michael's decals cover the black adequately? Thanks for sharing any advice.

Topic author
aracefan
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by aracefan »

Thanks for all the kind remarks, guys! Really appreciate it! :D
tubegenius wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:51 pm Nice job. I'm no expert, but I don't notice what the "big mistake" is. Did you paint the rear wing elements white, or did Michael's decals cover the black adequately? Thanks for sharing any advice.
I accidentally put the decal over the "mesh" screen (it's just clear plastic...) instead of under it on the right side... :roll: it was dry and a couple days later before I realized what I had done. Decided to just leave it as it would have ruined the decal trying to remove. As for the rear wing, I did paint the white, although, I think the decal would have covered it. I just wasn't sure if it being black under the decal would have slightly darkened it - so decided to paint it... you would have to paint the little support in the middle anyway. :wink:

I also glued in the rear engine to the chassis as when "snapped" in, the engine/chassis had too much play and the rear drooped a small amount. Probably would've been fine, but I glued it anyway. If I was to do it again, I would probably separate the side pods from the engine cowling - with the mirrors installed (also glued in...) it's damn near impossible to remove the rear bodywork of the car.

wixy500
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: I don't have a set "favourite"
Australia

Post by wixy500 »

I'm not really a fan of snap-lock kits, but credit where credit is due, Tamiya did a pretty good job on those 2 Indycars and they build into nice looking models, as evidenced by your build. When I did the Mansell car I used a little glue in a few places just for added security.
Mark Wicks
http://www.wixy500.com
^ my model site/blog ^