Another legend gone

Whatever its called these days... US open wheel racing.

Topic author
tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Another legend gone

Post by tubegenius »

This happened 2 days ago, but nobody mentioned it here: Bobby Unser died at age 87 on May 2. 3 time Indy 500 winner, 13 time Pike's Peak winner, 1975 IROC champion, and entered 2 F-1 races in 1968. 1DNS and 1DNF.

cevert
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Another legend gone

Post by cevert »

RIP

1slowhand
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by 1slowhand »

Had the good fortune of meeting Bobby Unser (and his mom) during the 70's at the now defunct Ontario Motor Speedway and Riverside International Raceway. They were both lovely people who made you feel that they were as interested in you ( a college student) as you were in them. No affectations - just really nice down to earth people. Motorsport has lost a unique personality and damn fast racer. RIP

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

I had the pleasure of seeing Bobby’s 1975, and 1981 Indy 500 wins in person, but when I think of Bobby, the big wing unlimited turbo boost Indy cars of 1972-73 come to mind first. He was the undisputed master of those monsters. Seeing him on a qualifying run at Indy driving one of Gurney’s Olsonite Eagles, with 1200 bhp on tap, was something really special.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Bobby was one of the great characters of motorsports. I relay this with the utmost reverence - a joke about "uncle Bobby": Bobby Unser was the greatest race car driver that ever lived. I you don't believe me, ask him yourself! :mrgreen:

Bobby was the first racing legend I ever met - at Michigan Speedway in 1981 at which time Mario was still the winner of that 1981 500. (we refer to Mario as the May-October 1981 Indy 500 winner)

Those of you in touch with me on facebook already know this, but my mother passed away a few hours after Bobby did (we were expecting it). Like Bobby, my mom was very outgoing and social (and she loved the Indy 500 - she attended 19 years in a row right up until the pandemic hit) I can't help but have this vision of the two of them talking each others ear's off in the "new arrivals" line.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

My condolences, Michael. Yep they'll have a good chat when they meet in the elevator, no doubt :) good to have these thoughts.
About Bobby curiously I met by pure chance with some Bobby pics on a GTX thread. They were recalling Bobby's CV. Impressive. I always mentally attached him to thne Pike's Peak race rather than Indy. Surely one of those all-around campions. Race in peace!