Lotus 72E/6 22.9.1973 CGP Qual. R. Peterson

Any scale...

Topic author
tommyjsaari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Lotus 72E/6 22.9.1973 CGP Qual. R. Peterson

Post by tommyjsaari »

Tittle's pretty specific :), tho don't know how I can live up to it!

If you have any pictures of that session, please share them with me.

Started with some mods to the fuel management area. Made a simple metering unit fron 1/12 motorcycle rear shock and part of the "legoesque arm" part was used to build base for the angled pump drive at left side of engine block. Pump unit itself was cut off the water pump on the left side of the engine block.

Metering unit still needs throttle rod and few other minor parts. Ebbro kit actualally includes throttle linkage (Part F20) but does not mention it in part count or the instructions...

Also rebuild the distrubutor from 1/12 front fork.

Painted few bits and bobs... and looking at the cockpit realized I forgot my seatbelt holes...well tomorrow. Haynes Lotus 72 manual says 72E/6 is restored to its original look and prior to restoration shows one pic with this yellow/green tub. I wonder if that was painted when the chassis was converted to E spec from D.

Some parts ie. engine, tranny and tub received some preshading. All paint are from Humbrol emal range. I've have learned how to use them effectively.That tub was painted in less than 20 mins including masking. Thin coats and hairdryer does the trick.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Lotus 72E/6 22.9.1973 CGP Qual. R. Peterson

Post by Eagle50 »

Coming along nicely. Thanks for the yellow-green under tub colour info. Wouldn't have known that unless I'd read this.

Cheers,
Chris

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Great start to your project. You sure set a tough goal, with such a specific car, and I am thoroughly impressed with your attention to detail, even down to the over-painted green tub color.
Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
tommyjsaari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by tommyjsaari »

Nothin worthwhile today, just some pin washing, dry brushing and brush painting.

...But here is something to look at while the paint dries;

http://www.randjsimpson.com/#!portfolio
http://www.randjsimpson.com/#!portfolio/vstc1=page-2

I'm a bit worried that I have to scratch the rear radiator lay out as did john-w on his most excellent Gunston build of the same car a year later. Initially I thought the side oil radiator layout was South African mod but now looking at 1973 US gp pic (side layout is there) I realized the layout most have been used in Canada two weeks earlier. Sunday mornings practise car seem to have right side radiator a further to the front than on the Gunston car. Can anybody confirm this?

Buut it's all good fun...try out new things!

Ebbro kit seems depicts car used up to CGP. So the last race with this rear end seems to be Monza in early September.

Topic author
tommyjsaari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by tommyjsaari »

Ok, the mystery is solved. For CGP and USGP the rear oil radiator was split in two and mounted on the sides of gearbox, Battery is repositioned much like on the 72C. I built some radiators from spare PE and plastic. I have one good shot of the back end of the car at USGP and used calibers to compare their size to other known items in the picture.
I'm pretty sure that Ronnie qualifyed using Melmag wheels, I'll tackle those over the weekend.
I know Chapman had his racecars looking polished and clean but I thought I give this one some wear tear as the season was closing to the end.
I painted the waist radiators in Blueish-gray and chipped the edges using sponge technique.
I finished the rear brakes and installed lines. T connector is pretty simple unit; 1.2mm Top Studio heat shrink tube stretched cold to small diameter and cut to two small pieces. Glue them to T shape using CA, touch up with sharpie and you got yourself a connector.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Nice prep work. I like the "pitted" cast aluminium look of the engine block and tranny!

Chris

vassa
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari. Or any Australian driver
Australia

Post by vassa »

Eagle50 wrote:Nice prep work. I like the "pitted" cast aluminium look of the engine block and tranny!

Chris
I agree totally.
Regards Wayne

rtedore
World Champion
World Champion

Post by rtedore »

I love the work!!
BEST REGARDS
ROY TEDORE

"I BUILD FOR REFLECTION, NOT FOR PERFECTION"

ROY TEDORE 1993

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Great work, the attention to detail continues to impress!! Looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
tommyjsaari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by tommyjsaari »

Slowly but surely I'm moving forward. Real reference is hard to come by...downloaded If you are not winning you are not trying movie about Lotuses 1973 season from Duke for a fiver just to realize there is no footage from CGP...otherwise highly recommended. Can anyone comment on Duke's 1973 season review?

I need to finish rear radiator supprots once the exhaust is in place...
Some detail.
Pedals got something extra...though pedal themselves are glued crooked. This is becoming a habit :).
Added some detail on the engine...