Orange House - Brabham Ford BT42

Any scale...

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Orange House - Brabham Ford BT42

Post by Steffen_T »

I would also like to join the group build 2014 with one of these kits you rarly see a WIP about:
The Brabham BT42

The Brabham BT42 was the first Formula 1 cars designed by Gordon Murray and it was also the first one with the triangular shape that was also seen on the BT44 and the BT46.
The finest moment for a BT42 came at the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona 1973 when Reutemann was leading before he got a driveshaftfailure. Reutemann scored 16 points and two podium finishes with the BT42, but no wins...
The version I would like to build is the one that was driven by Rolf Stommelen during the German Grand Prix in 1973. Stommelen replaced Andrea de Adamich who had suffered a broken ancle in a pile-up at the British Grand Prix a few weeks before. For Stommelen it was a come-back after the terrible season he had in 1972 with the German Eifelland Team.
He qualified the car on the 16th position and finished the race in 11th spot.
The whole race can be watched here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhI7ah4nKwQ

The kit of the BT42 was made by Orange House and contains parts made of various materials:

According to the instruction I should be able to build this car in 4 different versions:

German Grand Prix: Carlos Reutemann and Wilson Fittipaldi
US Grand Prix: John Watson and Carlos Reutemann

The version of Stommelen is missing in the instruction, because the airbox of his car had a different style in comparisson to his teammates.
I thought I would have to scratch a new one, but when I checked the kit for the first time, to my big surprise the Stommelen airbox was included! I suppose Orange House accidently took an early airbox into the kit instead of the airbox for the US Grand Prix, which turned out to be a big advantage for me! :-)

But they also did another mistake which became a disadvantage:
There are two different rearwing supports in the kit. One for the 73 and one for the 74 version. So I have to scratch a second 73 rearwing support:

I am currently cleaning and adjusting the elements for the engine and the gearbox. As soon as I have a few good things to show you I will write the next post.

Steffen

postermount
F3
F3

Re: Orange House - Brabham Ford BT42

Post by postermount »

I will follow this thread with great interest. A good friend of mine was a parts fabricator for this car in 72-73 and traveled with the Brabham team those seasons. I'm not familiar with Orange House, looks like a decent kit, where was it made?

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Hi

Looking good Steffen.

I would suggest - if possible - as many engine/gearbox parts as possible to be replaced with the identical parts from almost any Cosworth powereed F1 car from the Tamiya 1:20 series and only using the few specific parts made for the car.

It will make alignment much easier as well as the plastic parts are easier to work with IMHO.

Best regards

Flemming

rtedore
World Champion
World Champion

Post by rtedore »

Great topic to watch!!!
BEST REGARDS
ROY TEDORE

"I BUILD FOR REFLECTION, NOT FOR PERFECTION"

ROY TEDORE 1993

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Good car to do.

Topic author
Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Thank you for the comments!

I think Orange House is a Brazilian model maker. I have checked the instruction, but there is no "Made in ..." anywhere. Nevertheless: The way how the whole kit is made looks to me like a Brazilian kit. Right now I think the quality is okay.

It was my intention to use the whitemetal parts for the engine and the gearbox, but I just noticed that a gearbox piece is missing, but that could also be my fault. Now I will follow your advice, Flemming, and use the Tamiya DFV-sprue.

Currently I am working on the front suspension.

DiemenRacer
Midfield
Midfield

Post by DiemenRacer »

I have this kit as well so will be watching closely. I feel like I need to go inventory the parts!
Mark

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Very interesting subject. I will watch your w.i.p. :-)

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Yes, a very interesting subject. This will be good. And I'd never heard of Orange House. (Guess because I don't build resin kits.) The things you can learn at this site!

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

Nice to see unusual less popular subjects in this group build. I'd heard of Orange House but I never knew this kit existed, so I'll be watching this build with real interest.