Jacques
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Jacques
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
France

DISASTER !!!! HELP !!!

Post by Jacques »

2 years ago I built the beautiful Studio27 Lotus 79 (full detail white metal version).

The result was fine for me, I decided to use for the first time the famus Tamiya Wax. The car was nice glossy. I put following paint on my car :
1° Tamiya primer
2° Tamiya TS black
3° Tamiya TS gloss
4° Decals
5° Tamiya TS gloss
6° Tamiya wax putted by hand with the small provided cloth.

After 2 years, I just could see some kind of a chemical reaction, all the paint and decals get "eaten" by the wax, that's what I think.

Have a look at the pictures....It's awfull :(

A now some other car seems to have the same trouble (look at the Lotus 80 pictures !)

This trouble only happens on car on which I put tamiya wax as a final protection.

Can someone help me : Did someone experience the sme problem ?

Is it really the wax ?

Jacques

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

RE: DISASTER !!!! HELP !!!

Post by daniel »

wow that that is very sad...I would say it's the Tamiya clear..whish is crappy stuff :-)
Maybe you didn't wait long enough between the layers or spreyaed to thick layers.

..maybe ?!?

daniel
-germany-

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

RE: DISASTER !!!! HELP !!!

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

maybe try microwaving them on a lower setting (just kidding).

really that is aweful what is happing to them. i wouldn't think it's the wax. more like the clear as daniel suggested. what sort of environment are they kept in? when did it start happening? how long after the build?

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Were these models kept in a display case with a lamp? If so, perhaps the heat from the lamp melted the wax?

willster127
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Lee
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
United States of America

Post by willster127 »

I don't know exactly what is hapening here but on my bottle of wax there is a warning about letting the wax sit too long on the model as it can affect the decals. Whenever I use it I always put very little wax on the model and then polish it all off almost instantly, I don't believe it is supposed to be left on the model. How did you apply the wax? and did you buff it off after applying?

XCOM
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by XCOM »

once it happened to me...but I didn't use wax. It was with my clear coat.

in my case it was a low quality thinner that I had used.

try to use same thinner for all steps and one which is good enough.

good luck

70sFAN

Post by 70sFAN »

Daniel is absolutely right for the Lotus 80: nothing to do with a chemical reaction, but only not enough drying time between the layers (that were also a little too thick).
The surface of the paint dries, emprisoning moisture from the wet paint underneath.
After some time, those kinds of cracks appear under the surface.
This happened to me twice on plastic models with only paint and paint +clear.

Oliver

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Jacques,

I am very sorry this happens to you... :( I know you like your models very much...
Never seen something like this before.It must have been the paint.I always use automotive paint and car polish..BUT I never clearcoat my decals or models...d'ont know if this is a better way ?...works for me....

Keep on building,
Alex Nahooy.

DM
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by DM »

I think that the problem is not caued by WAX but layers of Clea Coat. The crack may caused by different SHRINK/Contract rate of layers of clear coat

denis

Post by denis »

I have read in a number of modeling magazines that Tamiya clear must only be applied over a paint within either a short time, or after one month. I do not remember how long is considered a 'short time', but I think it was within one hour. I have never seen this limit stated on the Tamiya paint cans, or actually anywhere, except in modeling magazines - which state that the result of failure to follow this advice results in the type of problems shown in your pictures.

Apparently, the problem results from a difference in shrinkage rates between the color Tamiya paints and the clear.

It must be very frustrating to have your hard work destroyed in this manner. I have often wondered why there is no warning from Tamiya about this problem.