f13dfx
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: f13dfx
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Canada

Re: Villeneuve Pironi documentary

Post by f13dfx »

I have the French version. Does anyone have an FTP server I can upload it to?

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

I’m looking forward to seeing this at some point. I always felt that Didier was very unnecessarily vilified by what happened. In 1981 there was the Jones-Reuteman episode at Rio, then in 1982 there was Arnoux-Prost at Ricard, all far more blatant ignoring of team orders than what went on at Imola in 1982, which was, and still is very murky.
No less than Marco Piccinini and Mauro Forghieri have said that the slow sign was first displayed when Didier was leading. The whole episode would have blown over in a few weeks, but Gilles fatal crash forever damned Didier. As Keke once said, we could all see Gilles accident coming, if it didn’t happen at Zolder it was eventually going to happen, he just stepped over the edge too often. We loved Gilles for his style, but those of us that watched him in Formula Atlantic in North America in the mid-seventies were amazed he lived as long as he did!
Problem was several of the motor racing journalist of the era resented the fact the Pironi came from a wealthy Parisian family, where Gilles came from working class Quebec. Nigel Roebuck was really close to Gilles, and was nothing short of criminal in his attempts to crucify Didier.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I am interested to hear Joanns tale. She seems as though she has something to say. And I would LOVE to know what Jackie Stewart said to Gilles up on the Imola podium, but I doubt he's in this.

banzai
Formula e
Formula e

Post by banzai »

It's mostly presented by Joann through her own words. Jackie does speak a few times, as well as Prost, Piccinini and several others. It's well presented with a few things I never knew like the pre Imola agreement btw Ferrari and Renault where they would race until half distance, then hold station so to not risk a DNF. The same agreement was also common knowledge btw the Ferrari drivers and the team. Forghieri was not at that race for personal reasons. He seemed to regret it, wondering how things may have been different if he had. The relationship between Piccinini and Pironi and its effects, was also covered.

There is quite a bit of early history on both drivers and their career paths that took them to that moment. I believe Didier knew exactly what he was doing. He wasn't made out to be evil, more like caught up in the moment and selfishly winning it for himself. Really, just doing what all racing drivers will do. According to his ex's comments, I believe he lived to regret his actions that day. Gilles just felt massively betrayed, by Didier and ultimately, the old man himself for not supporting him. I guess, after the first time they met Didier, Joann told Gilles to be wary of this one.

It's not about blame or wrong doing, rather the story and situation is laid out and presented for the viewer to decide. Joann is not bitter or angry, just wishes things had worked out another way. I also never realized that Didier died before his sons were actually born or that their mother asked Joann permission to name them after Gilles and Didier. They also have interviews with the boys as well as several spots with Melanie and Jacques.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

THanks, guys. And I really empathize with your comments. Generally speaking Didier was treated too harshly.
I have also read strange comments about his behaviour between Zolder and Hockenheim crash, he (reportedly) started to be a little badass, cheat on his wife (they had married at time ofImola!!!), and "live dangerously" you know... not sure if this matches reality or it´s just a movie-like compound.
Surely also Didier was really "making a Gilles" under the rain at Hockenheim so all kind of comments may flourish from this.
All in all a tremendous Hollywood blockbuster screenplay. They could make a great Rush-II with ´82 season.
Anyway, I´d love to se the doc!

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

For me, simply put it the story of GIlles and Didier was one of choices that didn't work out. These choices are what comes with life. In time, I think the two would have been fine.

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

There is a terrific book available called Didier Pironi, The Champion That Never Was. The author did an amazing job researching this bio of the enigmatic Frenchman. He had a bizarre upbringing, where his mother is also his aunt (it makes sense it you read it). Didier led complicated relationships with the women in his life, he had an affair with a teacher when he was in high school, and just weeks after getting married he was carrying on an affair with French actress Veronique Jannot. He seemed to have inherited this trait from his father.
He apparently was something of a fearless, daredevil wild child as a young boy, The book delves pretty deeply into his relationship with GV, and the Imola episode. His determination in his recovery from his horrific Hockenheim injuries is impressive. Highly recommended racing reading.
Last edited by ronnie1972 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

banzai
Formula e
Formula e

Post by banzai »

Go to https://myflixer.to

Type into the search box-->Villeneuve Pironi and click the search icon

Click on the movie--->then hit the play icon-->Enjoy.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

banzai wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:56 pm Go to https://myflixer.to

Type into the search box-->Villeneuve Pironi and click the search icon

Click on the movie--->then hit the play icon-->Enjoy.
Thanks! Does it allow to download, not just watching?

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

This topic got me to thinking: there was Gilles and Pironi in 1982 and the year before, Reutemann "not seeing" the sign to give Jones victory but before these 2 incidents, were there any "betrayals" in F1. The closest I can think of off the top of my head was Ferrari somehow gifting Regazzoni a win over Lauda ( according to Niki in his bio, My Years With Ferrari) at Long Beach in 1976. Anyone think of anything similar?