Help with how to mask a 1/43rd McLaren MP4/6

Ask away....

Topic author
Poltroon
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: Martin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren. My local team. I grew up watching Senna and Prost.
Great Britain

Help with how to mask a 1/43rd McLaren MP4/6

Post by Poltroon »

Hi all,

I’m getting back into model cars after a 20 something year hiatus and could do with some help.

I am building a Tameo McLaren MP4/6 and I’m unsure how to proceed with the ‘M@r!b*r*’ orange on the body. The kit comes with one (large) decal but I’m a bit hesitant to use it - I’ve struggled to get large decals accurately positioned (especially over several curves) in the past and there is only one, so no second chances.

Looking about on the internet it seems most people getting a good result don’t use the decal but mask and spray. I can easily order the Zero Paints ‘M@r!b*r* orange’ but how do I go about doing the masking and what do I need to know to make it look good?

I’m guessing that I need to use the decal to make the mask - but how do I go about this?

Can anyone let me know or point me towards a good resource? I’ve found the guide on Tameo’s site but there is no detail on how the masking is done.

Cheers.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Help with how to mask a 1/43rd McLaren MP4/6

Post by daveyman »

It's difficult to give any advice on masking the M@r!b*r* scheme other than get into it and try. Tamiya thin masking tape will be fine for this job. I would cut the end of the tape to replicate the internal angle of the red intersection, decide on the body where the Centreline is and basically lay the tape down from there. Work from the centre outwards and make sure the tape is fully adhered to the body. Constantly check looking along the line to ensure straightness, you'll probably have to adjust it before it's perfect. Once you've done one side, move over to the other and apply the tape from the same start point.
It's a pretty easy scheme to mask, just need patience and a steady hand.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Only advice is its easier to fix wobbly tape than wobbly paint. Keep trying until it looks good, then spray.

dozman
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Lotus, Williams
Australia

Post by dozman »

Poltroon wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:30 am
I’m guessing that I need to use the decal to make the mask - but how do I go about this?
Some people take a photocopy of the decal to make the mask, just make sure the copy isn't scaled differently to the decal.

Cheers,
Paul

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

I would do that! Copy the enclosed mask. Cut them out precisely and temporarily attach them to the midell with bluetak. Then tape along the template with a 2mm tamiya masking tape. Repeat the process on the opposite side. Check the line for symmetry from different viewing angles. If it suits the eye, make the rest and paint the M@rlrobo red. Don't forget to press the adhesive edges firmly onto the body with a rounded toothpick to prevent the paint from running underneath. The smartest thing is to tape it symmetrically on both sides. I get along best with this technique. Of course, some practice, concentration and steady hands are beneficial. Good luck with your Mclaren. Maybe we can get some pictures of the construction.
Seema

dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

One clear advantage is that since it is white metal, if there is an oops, you can take it for a dip in lacquer thinner and start over. Has worked for me a few times with this classic livery. I am definitely a fane of using the decal as a guide as it definitely gets the correct angle across the midline on the top side.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Martin,

I would also suggest to put a very thin layer of white paint around the masking tape to seal it first before painting the red. The white is the same as the other body color. Even if it sips through the tape, it is the same colour of the other side. All you need may be a slight polish to flatten it after the tapes are removed. This way, the red will not bleed through.
C K
Canada