World Champion
Your Name: Alex Kung
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Ferrari
Canada

Italeri Renault Re20 1/12

Post by Alex_Kung »

Hmm several questions here

I saw the Italeri 1/12 Renault RE20 and made the assumption that it was a reissue of the Protar kit.

Question 1
However the Protar kit was the RE23. Are they the same kit?

Question 2
While at the local hobby store I heard some information that was new to me. They were saying that the designer of the Protar kit came over from Tamiya so it is much better quality compared to the other Protar kits.

Question 3
Does someone have both kits and if they are from the same moulds is the quality the same. I ask this question because I saw on another forum that they had the Star Wars Star Destroyer kits from both Zvezda and Revell and he was saying the Revell kit was terrible as the plastic was brittle and the parts were severely warped.

It does make some sense. The moulds can be the same but if the raw material is different the plastic can be more brittle. Also if the demould time is shorter there is more chances that it can warp.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: Italeri Renault Re20 1/12

Post by Steffen_T »

Regarding your first question I got interested and took a look in my Heinz Prüller yearbooks from 1979, 80 and 81.
I must admit I always thought the Renault from 1979 and 1980 were the same! :oops:

It seems RE20 was the designation of the series, while every car received a unique chassis number.

For example:
There had been two Renault RE20 at the Austrian Grand Prix 1980:
RE23 for Jabouille (winner) and RE25 for Arnoux.

During the 1980 season Jabouille drove RE22 and RE23. RE23 also seems to be the car in which he had his accident at Montreal.
Arnoux used more chassis: RE21, RE22, RE24 and RE25.

According to Prüller RE22 is the only car used by both drivers. Jabouille used it in the first two races and Arnoux in the British Grand Prix.

In 1981 a B-spec was used:
Prost: RE21B and RE22B
Arnoux: RE26B and RE27B

Starting with the introduction of the RE30 Prüller mentions the chassis RE31 to RE34.

Or to make it short:
The Renault RE23 is the car driven by Jabouille for almost the whole season starting in Kyalami until his accident in Montreal.

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Post by scaleautofactory »

Yes, the italeri kit is a 1:1 reissue of the old protar kit like the already reissued protar Alfa 179 kit and the upcoming protar mp4/2 reissue by italeri in scale 1.12.

atlantakat11
Formula e
Formula e

Post by atlantakat11 »

Alex_Kung wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:56 pm Hmm several questions here

I saw the Italeri 1/12 Renault RE20 and made the assumption that it was a reissue of the Protar kit.

Question 1
However the Protar kit was the RE23. Are they the same kit?

Question 2
While at the local hobby store I heard some information that was new to me. They were saying that the designer of the Protar kit came over from Tamiya so it is much better quality compared to the other Protar kits.

Question 3
Does someone have both kits and if they are from the same moulds is the quality the same. I ask this question because I saw on another forum that they had the Star Wars Star Destroyer kits from both Zvezda and Revell and he was saying the Revell kit was terrible as the plastic was brittle and the parts were severely warped.

It does make some sense. The moulds can be the same but if the raw material is different the plastic can be more brittle. Also if the demould time is shorter there is more chances that it can warp.
My recollection as to Question 2 is that the former Tamiya designer had a hand in the 1/12th Protar McLaren 4/2 C (which Italeri is also planning to reissue) but not the RE-20.