How much would you charge for commissions to build F1 Models?

Ask away....

Topic author
Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Mexico

How much would you charge for commissions to build F1 Models?

Post by Husker »

Hi there!

Looong time no see. So basically the question in the title.

I'm trying to set some prices for some folks that want me to build their F1 kits but have no idea what the market is at the moment for something like this. They're almost exclusively plastic models so for starters I'm thinking of three build levels:

1. Out of the Box
2. Some added detail like engine wiring and/or CF decals (not covering the entire floor, brake intakes etc but something simpler like end plates, air intakes and so on.
3. Full blown crazy detail - scratch built pieces, CF galore, PE and aftermarket sets, the works.

All these build levels would vary if the kit comes with PE sets or the client provides aftermarket sets/decals or I'm in charge of hunting these down. I know each kit is different but just trying to get as many opinions as possible to maybe come to an average prize range.

These 3 levels would be applicable for both 1/20 and 1/12 scales while the prices would be wildly different I'm assuming. Paint and bodywork finish is the exact same on all 3 levels of course, the differences would be mainly in detailing engines and cockpits for the most part... depending on the car obviously. Some need more work, some less but with some base numbers it's easier to work each specific subject out regarding price and build time I think.

Important to note - In theory it's not just one or 2 builds but quite a large number of kits so would you charge a flat rate if x number of kits are to be built OOB for example or individually considering each car's complexity? Would a bulk price make more sense or not at all?

Anyone's got experience building kits for clients? I'd love to hear your input!
Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: How much would you charge for commissions to build F1 Models?

Post by bossy122 »

I've never built for someone but my late step Father did and I remember being told that it sucked the fun out of building ( and he was a master builder ) to the point that he didn't do it again. My point is: I would charge by each build as you never know if you'll grow to not like doing it then have to deal with, ..."but we already paid you". Just my thought.

notime4me
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by notime4me »

Wouldn't you charge: estimated number of hours to build the kit X $ per hour your time is worth?

As it was mentioned, it would become a job now and no longer a labour of love.

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Honestly, commission builds are hard. My standards for build quality are high enough that I'd never make anything profitable. I think on an average F1 1/20 kit build I would take 50-150 hours minimum, and at $10/hr that's already about $1K. Not practical. And I'd probably consume more hours than that. If it's a metal kit, or resin build which has to be done to a high standard, multiply that time estimate by orders of magnitude. I'm currently working on a 1/24 Tameo metal kit that someone asked me to build and by the time I'm done fixing everything in the metal work, then modifying to improve detail, I'll have hundreds of hours into it.

I don't recommend it. But that's just me.

fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Daniel Ricciardo.
Australia

Post by fastbackfreddie »

AJP01 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:05 pm Honestly, commission builds are hard. My standards for build quality are high enough that I'd never make anything profitable. I think on an average F1 1/20 kit build I would take 50-150 hours minimum, and at $10/hr that's already about $1K. Not practical. And I'd probably consume more hours than that. If it's a metal kit, or resin build which has to be done to a high standard, multiply that time estimate by orders of magnitude. I'm currently working on a 1/24 Tameo metal kit that someone asked me to build and by the time I'm done fixing everything in the metal work, then modifying to improve detail, I'll have hundreds of hours into it.

I don't recommend it. But that's just me.
I completely agree with your assessment AJP01
Hourly rates are impracticable.
Its been some years since I last did one (1/24 and 1/20)...and I always preferred to do them out of box, which I could complete in about 50 hours.
I costed my builds based on a good quality diecast available at the time. At the time $150 AUD was the going price for a good quality diecast of the same/similar scale. I figured my quality was a bit better than that, so I doubled the cost. So if you wanted me to build you a 1/24 or 1/20 model it was $300 AUD, in todays prices it would be closer to $500.
I did find it hard when really, I just wanted to enjoy building my own models, but instead was slaving away on a model for someone else. That was why I built them out of box as I knew I could build them in a reasonable time frame.
Handing them to the client was bitter sweet. They obviously where excited when it was shown to them, but I also felt they never really appreciated or understood the work, skill etc that was involved.
The money went straight into the 'future model fund' :D .
Today I have some regulars who get me to do repairs to diecasts, and add the missing banned decals etc. I do actually enjoy doing that a whole lot more than building kits for money.
Hope my experience helps with your decision.
Cheers
Tim

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

What about your Stardust models? Did you not do that for clients in the past??
I only can agree to what is said, time, effort, materials....it makes not much sence excapt you see it as hobby. I did so in the past, but it became boring cause people wanted it done fast and they wanted models that i did not like, so i ended this. I only do models which i realy like, that`s the best to me.
Take a stand!

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

I agree with most people here. I've done several commissions, including builds for advertising for a major model company. When I calculated my hourly rate, I never even made minimum wage standards. People asking you to build have the mistaken idea that part of your reward is the fun of building. Well, building gets all the fun sucked out of it when you have a deadline and have to please someone else. I remember the feeling of "I got to get back to the bench and get this done" I guess you could get around this to some degree by building what you want and then selling it on, but most people will see it as a toy and are only willing to pay toy prices. What we do is art and most artists starve!
Want to stop the discussion with a potential buyer? "What do you charge?" "Well, most skilled craftsman start at $50 an hour and this is going to take 30 or 40 hours minimum."

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I have sold a lot of models that I have built but my norm has been to build what I like and then offer it for sale. In this manner I am okay with covering the cost of my build plus a little regardless of how many hours were involved. So if I can build a kit I love and someone will pay me for it the hours are not so important. I don:t care if I keep my models. To give you an example I have sold a number of 1/32 aircraft kits ranging from 200, to 500. I build and sold a Bandai Millinium Falcon for about $700.00 might have been 800 i forget and I built the DeAgostini Falcon on commission. I made money but that commission tied me up for two years. I would wrather make less and offer up what I have built.

If someone wants to pay you for a model I personally would recommend only taking it on if you want to build it anyway, and just tell them you will offer it to them when you are done with it and name your price. No money up front no conditions, just build it and if they will pay you want you want when you are done it is theirs.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Whatever you decide - don't sell yourself short. Building for hire is a PITA. I only do one a year but there's a very special reason for that. Even so it still stresses me out. If you give a price that you are comfortable with and the customer isn't - don't let them talk you down. Tell them 'have a nice day'. You will find someone willing to pay what you want, and/or that customer will come back after talking to other people and offer what you originally asked.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I build so many cars and have limited room that sometimes I will give a model to the driver of the car - this past year Bobby Rahal and Lyn St James got models from me. But those models weren't commissions and they had already fulfilled their need.

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I have had most fun with building what I want and selling, building on commission, for the right person, yes, but I won’t do it anymore

There are some very difficult people out there

Shipping is a pain,

Most are too picky snd I want to hukd what I want

I built fir one guy in the East coast for years snd it was great, but I lost contact

Built some for Dennis Koleber, but no more for me, people don’t want to pay what they are worth to me, especially the MFH 1/12’s

Alex Hague