oversteery
F3
F3
Your Name: Mark
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, McLaren, Alonso
Australia

Brabham BT52b help

Post by oversteery »

Hello All, long time forum reader, first time posting.

I have just started work on the Aoshima/Beemax Brabham BT52b 1/20. Test fitting to begin with highlighted a warped floor. This is my first experience of a kit outside of Tamiya and Ebbro and this part is unlike the usual stiff plastic floor I’m used to working with.

In attempting to correct the warping first via hairdryer (no result) and subsequently in hot water I seem to have made the problem worse if anything. I think perhaps the water was too hot and there is now further warping and maybe also some shrinkage.

I don’t suppose anyone is aware of a replacement option for this part? I’m not sure my skills are up to scratch building/correcting the damage.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Brabham BT52b help

Post by bossy122 »

I am getting my ass kicked by this kit, currently. Mine was slightly bent but I figure when I affix the tub, it should straighten it out. The little warp will be the least of your problems, going forward. The BIG thing I have learned so far is to dry fit the engine on the pan and assemble the exhaust/turbo using the pan and supports as a jig, otherwise, it ain't happening. I've seen 2 other builds that complained of the same problem. And pay close attention with the front suspension. The instructions don't really tell you in which order the pieces need to go together and it turns out that it's kind of important to be done in a certain order. F6, F7 and F12 all attach, but you wouldn't know that, looking at the diagram.

In regards to acquiring a new floor, you might try Macs Modeling and see if he has an in with Aoshima/Bee Max for ordering replacement parts. I got a replacement tree for a Fujimi kit through him, so give that a try.

Topic author
oversteery
F3
F3
Australia

Post by oversteery »

Thanks for the tips.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Thanks for the tips on the construction from me as well!
I too have it in my stash, and it looks to be a handful.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

BMW wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:33 am Thanks for the tips on the construction from me as well!
I too have it in my stash, and it looks to be a handful.

It gets better and better. The way the pieces are moulded onto the sprues, annoying. The plastic is really soft so when I go to cut the sprue burrs off, a chunk of the piece comes out....be delicate.
I dry fit the front wing onto the body with the cowl and that's not fitting well. It's funny: my biggest fear of this kit was the giant white wrap around decal and that turned out to be the simplest step so far. The decal is thick enough so there's no blue bleed through and it laid down pretty nicely. My tip is to start with the decal on top of the engine cover first, to line it up with the fuel filler holes and the roll bar hole and then the big one. I did it in reverse and the whole thing is off by just a tick.

Topic author
oversteery
F3
F3
Australia

Post by oversteery »

In regards to my original post seeking tips on where to find a replacement part I’d just like to note that it was Hobbyeasy in Hong Kong who were able to come through with a new floor for me. Big thanks to them for their assistance.

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

oversteery wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:45 am In regards to my original post seeking tips on where to find a replacement part I’d just like to note that it was Hobbyeasy in Hong Kong who were able to come through with a new floor for me. Big thanks to them for their assistance.
Thank you for your feedback, maybe we can use this help sometime...
Greetings Thomas

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Hobbyeasy is the place to be, one of the best shops around i know, allways a pleasure to buy there.
Take a stand!